Q. Will taking Codeine for back pain cause constipation in me?

Dr. Nitin Dongre

I have been constipated for six days and just had a bowel movement for the first time, and there seems to be some “stringy white stuff” around my stool. I looked at it to see if ‘it’ moved, but it did not. I have been taking a lot of codeine this week because of a back issue that I thought caused constipation but not sure about the white stuff. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

Codeine had a side effect of constipation because it slowed the movements of the intestines, which is why liquefication of stool was not done. That causes hardness of stool, and when you try to evacuate it, dry stool rubs with the wall of large intestines and rectum, which causes expulsion of mucous, which is that stringy white stuff. So first of all, stop taking codeine after consulting with your doctor and start drinking warm water. Mostly everything becomes normal once you stop the codeine.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

|