Q. I have red, swollen and flaky skin in the lower eyelids. Why?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Oct 18, 2019

For the past two days, I have redness and flaky skin on the lower eyelid, and it looks swollen and irritated. I had this once before and went away with the usage of some sterile drops for around one week. I have no itching, no pain, no vision problems even when looking at the light. I have no issue within my eye, just on the skin surrounding it. I want to know what it could be and why it reappeared again? I have not changed my makeup products or started using something different on my face, either.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a number of different conditions which could cause such a problem. The red and flaky skin suggests that the problem could be related to inflammation or a reaction of the blood vessels in the eyelids. Since you mentioned that you have no itching or pain, this rules out allergic conditions.

As your symptoms resolved when you had applied sterile drops or tear substitutes, the cause could be dry eyes. Dry eyes are quite common in young working professionals, especially those who use computers a lot. In case you have watering from your eye or burning sensation especially when you watch your TV or computer screen or when you go near the air conditioner vents, you could be having dry eyes. I suggest that you continue with the tear substitutes.

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry, but there is no permanent treatment or cure for dry eyes, but yes with treatment, your life will become comfortable. To treat dry eyes, we need to find the type and severity of dry eyes. The type of dry eyes is established by the clinical examination of the...  Read Full