Q. I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2022

About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct my short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes get dry soon. And sometimes, when I wake up, I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry, and I need to keep them closed until it waters, which causes discomfort and pain. Also, I am traveling by bike to the office daily, which causes dryness and ultimately stressful eyes. Is there any medication I can try to get my eyeball lubricated and protect the eyes from dust and irritation?

#

I am sorry, but there is no permanent treatment or cure for dry eyes, but yes with treatment, your life will become comfortable.

• To treat dry eyes, we need to find the type and severity of dry eyes. The type of dry eyes is established by the clinical examination of the lids, tear film meniscus, and anterior surface of the eye. We may need to perform a few tests like tear film break-up time, Schirmer test, and corneal and conjunctival staining with fluorescein and rose bengal dye. All these tests help us in establishing the type of dry eyes. The treatment of dry eyes is dependent on the type of dry eyes.
  • We treat meibomitis, if present, with warm compresses followed by lid massage with index finger tightly from up to down, followed by application of Azithromycin ointment over the lid margins.
  • A lubricating eyedrop or ointment is prescribed to use frequently, like Systane ultra (Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol) or Iflomax (Carbomer Topical and Vitamin A topical) ointment.
  • We also advise exercising a few precautions like using goggles or antiglare glasses, cold compresses, decreasing illumination of the mobile or laptop screen, and avoiding direct exposure of the eyes to air.
  • If Inflammation is present, Cyclosporine eyedrops are also prescribed. All these measures together help.
Hi doctor. I consulted an ophthalmologist and he said I have severe dry eyes as well as my eye pressure is abnormally high. He asked to use nextane for two months but that medicine is not available here. Can you suggest which medicines to take and what time with my condition?
# Hello

Good evening

Nextane has sodium hyalouronate which is a lubricating eyedrop

You may use another eyedrop with same composition like eubri by Novartis etc

You may use as many times as you wish. There is no dosage for this eyedrop.
Having said that, eyedrop alone will not help.
You must exercise all precautions that we discussed last time

If eye pressure is high then your doctor may start medicine for that also

Hope this will help you
Regards

|