Q. I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which causes discomfort and pain. I am traveling by bike now to the office every day which causes dryness and ultimately stressful eyes. Is there any medication that I can try to get eyeball lubricated and protect the eyes from dust and irritation?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I am sorry, but there is no permanent treatment or cure for dry eyes, but yes with treatment, your life will become comfortable.

• To treat dry eyes, we need to find the type and severity of dry eyes. The type of dry eyes is established by the clinical examination of the lids, tear film meniscus and anterior surface of the eye. We may need to perform few tests like tear film break up time, Schirmer test, and corneal and conjunctival staining with fluorescein and rose bengal dye. All these tests help us in establishing the type of dry eyes. The treatment of dry eyes is dependent on the type of dry eyes.
  • We treat meibomitis, if present, with warm compresses followed by lid massage with index finger tightly from up to down followed by application of Azithromycin ointment over the lid margins.
  • A lubricating eyedrop or ointment is prescribed to use frequently like Systane ultra (Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol) or Iflomax (Carbomer Topical and Vitamin A topical) ointment. 
  • We also advise exercising few precautions like to use goggles or antiglare glasses, cold compresses, decrease illumination of mobile, laptop screen, and avoid direct exposure of the eyes to air. 
  • If Inflammation is present, Cyclosporine eyedrops is also prescribed.

All these measures together help.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I have dry eyes and feel heaviness and pain. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old female going through dry eyes for the past 45 days. I have been to three different doctors but no relief. I feel heaviness in the eyes along with pain and redness. I have been given a gel and a tube (Systane eye drop and Ara gel). Please help.  Read Full »

Can I get LASIK surgery done while on acne treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scheduled for LASIK eye surgery this week. I am currently using Acticlate tablets, Onexton and Epiduo (topical gel) for acne, which was prescribed by my dermatologist. Will there be any issues or side effects with LASIK surgery? I checked with my eye doctor and he said no problems...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking levofloxacin and azithromycin tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is ...  Read Full »