Q. Can I remove the gauze soaked in clove oil placed on the site of wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I have removed my wisdom tooth before five days. I am unable to tolerate the pain and so I consulted the doctor again. He placed a gauze soaked in clove oil in the holes of the wisdom tooth. It tastes horrible and burns a lot. It makes my stomach sick. Is it good to take the gauze out?

#

After doing an extraction, vigorous rinsing of the mouth should be avoided. Only warm saline gargling is advised after 24 hours. If it is not followed, the clot formed at the extracted site gets dislodged and it exposes the bones. Food gets accumulated and it adds up to the level of pain in your condition. So your dentist places a gauze with medication for healing the socket. As the wound gets healed, the pain gets reduced. Do not allow food particles to accumulate at the extracted site. The smell of the clove oil can be annoying and due to it, you have a burning sensation. But do not be worried and it will fade away soon. The extra medicaments can irritate your gums. You can apply Rexidine M forte gel (Lidocaine with Chlorhexidine gluconate and Metronidazole) on the irritated gums. It helps to mast the actions of clove oil. Wait for some time. As time passes, the gauze gets dried and excess oil will get removed and you will have relief soon. For now, you can try to rinse your mouth with caution. Do not dislodge your gauze. You can keep it by pressing it with your teeth while rinsing. Do not try to take the gauze out.

|