Q. How to stop ear crackling?

Published on Jun 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2019

How to stop ear crackling? I hear it everytime I yawn, swallow or do it intentionally. Why? What is the solution for it?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Ear crackling while swallowing, yawning, etc., is normal. It is because of closing of eustachian tube by throat muscles.
  • The tube connects back of nose or throat to the ear and equalize the pressure. That is the reason why it crackles.
  • However, the crackling can be painful or less frequent or ear can get blocked if the tube does not function properly. This can happen during an attack of upper respiratory tract infection or eustachian tube catarrh.
  • In these situations your hearing can also be less than normal. In such cases, a visit to the ENT is required who can look into the ear through an otoscope and confirm the findings and give right treatment.
  • Here in your case, it is normal.and not a cause for worry.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full »

My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is s...  Read Full »