Q. Both my ears are blocked. I have been suffering a hearing problem too. Please help.

Dr. A.k.srivastava
Published on May 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2019

I want some advice on my blocked ears. My ears are also paining since 7 days. Since last week, I have been suffering from cough and cold. As both the ears are blocked, I have been suffering a hearing problem too. I think wax is stuck inside my ears. I have been using an ear drops twice a day. What should I do?

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

HiWelcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern, and most likely you are suffering from eustachian tube catarrh. This is a clinical condition arises due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is a tubular connection between the middle ear and throat. Main function of this is to maintain air pressure in the middle ear equal to that of the external atmosphere. But whenever this tube gets blocked by cold and sore throat, the patient feels blockade of the ears.I would like to suggest you try:

1. Steam inhalation and warm saline gargling.
  2. Tablet Paracetamol for pain in the ears.
  3. Anti-allergic medication like Fexofenadine.
  4. Nasal decongestant like Xylometazoline nasal drop.
  5. Antibiotic, preferably broad spectrum.

Mostly, the above treatment will solve your problem.

Please suggest some ear drops which will clear the blockage.

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your symptoms indicate that your ear blockade is from inside. Therefore, ear drops will not help you. Ear blockade by wax is usually unilateral and very rarely bilateral.

On the other hand, blockade of ear due to eustachian tube dysfunction is usually bilateral (involving both the ears) as in your case. If the blockade is due to eustachian tube dysfunction and patient uses any ear drops, that will do harm. Please follow the advised treatment and you will be fine.

Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) is a category B drug, which otherwise means it is very safe in pregnancy. I suggest taking it along with Cetirizine 10 mg at night if you sneeze a lot. Also, do warm saline gargling if you have a sore throat. For further quer...  Read Full

Is it safe to remove ear wax with earbuds?

Query: Hello doctor, I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching. Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too. So, I ...  Read Full