Q. Both my ears are blocked. I have been suffering a hearing problem too. Please help.

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2019

I want some advice on my blocked ears. My ears are also paining since 7 days. Since last week, I have been suffering from cough and cold. As both the ears are blocked, I have been suffering a hearing problem too. I think wax is stuck inside my ears. I have been using an ear drops twice a day. What should I do?

#

HiWelcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern, and most likely you are suffering from eustachian tube catarrh. This is a clinical condition arises due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is a tubular connection between the middle ear and throat. Main function of this is to maintain air pressure in the middle ear equal to that of the external atmosphere. But whenever this tube gets blocked by cold and sore throat, the patient feels blockade of the ears.I would like to suggest you try:

1. Steam inhalation and warm saline gargling.
  2. Tablet Paracetamol for pain in the ears.
  3. Anti-allergic medication like Fexofenadine.
  4. Nasal decongestant like Xylometazoline nasal drop.
  5. Antibiotic, preferably broad spectrum.

Mostly, the above treatment will solve your problem.

Please suggest some ear drops which will clear the blockage.

#

Your symptoms indicate that your ear blockade is from inside. Therefore, ear drops will not help you. Ear blockade by wax is usually unilateral and very rarely bilateral.

On the other hand, blockade of ear due to eustachian tube dysfunction is usually bilateral (involving both the ears) as in your case. If the blockade is due to eustachian tube dysfunction and patient uses any ear drops, that will do harm. Please follow the advised treatment and you will be fine.

|