Q. Whenever I cough to clear my throat, why do I get a strange smell?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

I am a 32 year old male. I had some cough and cold last month due to drinking chilled beverages. After that, I have had a feeling of throat blockage, and my throat was burning.

If I try to cough forcefully to clear the throat, I get a strange smell in my nose. I am taking Telekast L tablet for last four weeks. Also, I have a feeling of mild right-sided ear block as well. The right side of my neck was also a bit stiff. The bad breath is really annoying. I am using Hexidine mouthwash.

I typically feel the odor more just after having my meal or after coughing. Previously, I took Pulmocef CV antibiotics. At the time of the infection, I had sticky gray phlegm. It is not there now.

Currently, the bad odor is still there, and I am feeling a mild blockage in right side of my larynx. Also, if I am in an air-conditioned environment, the coughing starts.

While trying to swallow, I have a very mild pain in the right side of my pharynx. I had fatty liver and acid reflux last year, but it recovered after having a strict diet. I quit smoking two months ago, and I am on NRT. I occasionally drink, maximum 120 ml in a week. Please advise.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You probably have pharyngitis. The ear pain is also due to pharyngeal infection causing Eustachian tube blockage. The coughing in the air-conditioned environment is due to dryness in the throat.

Please send me the pictures of your throat, so that I can suggest you better. Instead of Telekast L (Levocetirizine and Montelukast), I suggest a combination of Levocetirizine and Phenylephrine twice daily.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

Also, take steam inhalation. I suggest taking a cough syrup for few days.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Thanks for your valuable response. As directed, I am sharing three pictures of my throat along with this message. Rather than throat irritation, the coughing, and mild breathlessness, my another concern is bad breath or smell. Awaiting your valuable response on the same.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your pharyngitis is probably due to nasal or sinus pathology. The bad breath is also due to this only.

I suggest taking the medicines mentioned above after consulting your physician. Also, I suggest Xylometazoline nasal drops like Otrivin, thrice daily and tablet Vitamin C once daily.

Continue using Hexidine mouthwash. Get an x-ray of the paranasal sinuses done and send me the pictures.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Will Silver nitrate cure granulation with pharyngitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My ENT doctor told me that I am having granulation with pharyngitis. He applied silver nitrate. Will I be fine?  Read Full »

Can halitosis be caused due to gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about halitosis. I already went to the dentist and the dentist said that the problem is not in the mouth and it could be in my stomach so here I am. I hope you can help me because I am at my wit's end right now. How do I know if it is in the stomach? What should I do? I ...  Read Full »

What can be done for bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem. I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning.  Read Full »