Q. Whenever I cough to clear my throat, why do I get a strange smell?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Pharyngitis or Ear Pain? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 32 year old male. I had some cough and cold last month due to drinking chilled beverages. After that, I have had a feeling of throat blockage, and my throat was burning.

If I try to cough forcefully to clear the throat, I get a strange smell in my nose. I am taking Telekast L tablet for last four weeks. Also, I have a feeling of mild right-sided ear block as well. The right side of my neck was also a bit stiff. The bad breath is really annoying. I am using Hexidine mouthwash.

I typically feel the odor more just after having my meal or after coughing. Previously, I took Pulmocef CV antibiotics. At the time of the infection, I had sticky gray phlegm. It is not there now.

Currently, the bad odor is still there, and I am feeling a mild blockage in right side of my larynx. Also, if I am in an air-conditioned environment, the coughing starts.

While trying to swallow, I have a very mild pain in the right side of my pharynx. I had fatty liver and acid reflux last year, but it recovered after having a strict diet. I quit smoking two months ago, and I am on NRT. I occasionally drink, maximum 120 ml in a week. Please advise.