iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)ear painI have had an earache causing ringing, itchy sore, and muffled hearing. Please help.

How to overcome earache causing ringing, itchy sore, and muffled hearing?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 9, 2022
Reviewed AtSeptember 10, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have had an earache for a few weeks with ringing, itchy, sore, and muffled hearing. Can someone explain what is happening with my ear drum? It is sore, and I keep getting throbbing pain on that side. Does it look like there is fluid or blood behind my ear drum? It is also itchy. I am taking Venlafaxine 150 mg. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. There is a dark shadow behind the drum at the bottom of the picture (the attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity). The diagnosis depends on your history. Did you receive any trauma, like a slap on your ear, face, or head? Is your right ear auricle tender to touching or pressing? Do you suffer from hearing loss or buzzing sounds in your right ear? Did you have a common cold a few days ago? Regards.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Yes, my ear and face were slapped yesterday. This is my left ear. It does not hurt when I press it. Yes, I do hear buzzing and ringing in my ears. I have not had a cold. I can feel liquid coming out sometimes, too, although I can not see a perforation.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The right half of the first picture (the attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity) shows a small linear dark mark which may be a perforation. Your words indicate the ear pain and buzzing sounds because of the slap. All you can do is keep your ear dry away from water, using an anti-inflammatory drug such as Ibuprofen 400 mg once daily plus an edematous drug like Alphentern three times daily for a week. Some investigations, like pure tone audiometry and tympanometry, can be performed after one week in case symptoms persist. I hope you find it helpful. Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

ear injuryear pain

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy