Q. What causes ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain?

I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.

Do you have a question on Ear Pain or Hearing Loss?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS (MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE)., DLO., CERTIFICATE IN ALLERGIC RHINITIS MANAGEMENT., DNB
Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

With the details, you have given I understand that you have a throat infection for the past two days and you also have left earache and ear block. Also mild hearing loss on that side. This is most probably a resultant of the throat infection. There is a tube called eustachian tube that connects the back of the nose (junction of the nasal cavity with the throat, called nasopharynx) to the middle ear. All secretions from middle ear drain through this tube and go into the throat along with nasal secretions, etc. Also, this tube helps to maintain equal pressure on either side of the ear drum, that is middle ear pressure is maintained the same as ambient pressure. This is essential for hearing.

Due to throat infection, the tube could have got blocked because of which the air pressures are not equalized and secretions are accumulated inside the middle ear. This has resulted in the mild hearing loss and blocking sensation, respectively, that you have described.

I suggest the following measures for relief, however, to suggest the exact dose and frequency of the medications, I would require more details as to your age, weight, sex, etc. Also, I would require details about the problems you are suffering from.

1. An antibiotic

2. An anti-inflammatory drug daily twice (depending upon the condition)

3. Decongestant nasal drops daily twice

4. Steam inhalation after putting nose drops

5. Salt water gargling daily three times

6. Avoid Valsalva maneuver till the course of antibiotics is over and after then do Valsalva daily three times for a period of three days.

Kindly provide with more details so that we can have a more decisive diagnosis and help you with exact details and suggestions.

I have throat pain. What do I do?
Query: Hi, My age is 29 years. Yesterday I drank ice cold water in the afternoon. Since today morning I am feeling pain in the throat, body pain and laziness. Please suggest medicine for the same.  Read Full >>
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Start tablet Azithromycin 500mg once a day for three days after meals. Take tablet Paracetamol 500mg thrice daily for the pain relief. Drink plenty of water.Drink warm liquids. Gargle with warm salt water twice a day.Avoid cold, sour, junk, fried, oily, fatty foods a...  Read Full

I had throat pain after singing, is that due to vocal strain?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had¬†severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full >>
Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from vocal strain and a mild throat infection. You always feel tired due to this infection. Whenever you suffer from any throat infection, it causes a strain on your voice. As you also sang without any warm up, your throat could not handle ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now