Ear Pain

There is pain in ear with green discharge. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is experiencing pain in his ear and has a green discharge. Is this an emergency case? The pain started 4 days ago. And he takes Biogesic and Mefenamic for the pain. But the pain did not stop. What can we do about his condition?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we daily come across. There would have been an infection in the ear drum (acute otitis media) and green ear discharge is usually relatable to organism pseudomomas aeruginosa. Y...  Read Full »

There is yellowish liquid in ear with pain. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, My son's right ear is aching. When I checked a while ago, it has some yellowish liquid. He has a light fever. I gave him Paracetamol first. Is there any ear drops I can buy over the counter? He is four years old and is 24 kg.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. He has probably developed an acute ear infection and that is the reason why he has developed a ear discharge. Usually ear infection is secondary to a stuffy nose or due adenoid hypertrophy causing eustachian tube dysfunction. I Would like to ask a few other questions to...  Read Full »

Will Amoxicillin taken for tooth infection help crusty stuff with ear discharge?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this hard crusty stuff around the perimeter of my ear canal. It itches and if I scratch it will come off but it sometimes causes clear fluid to drain out of my ear. It also dissolves if I get water in my ear. I am currently on Amoxicillin for a tooth infection.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Probably you have a subclinical otitis externa. In this condition there will be a very subtle infection in the ear canal which leads to an intense amount of itching. With the use of earbuds the raw area gets exposed and flares up the irritation even more. Impacted wax c...  Read Full »

Will removing ear wax help with my ear pain and tinnitus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing ongoing war popping sensations as if I have gotten off a plane for the last two months. For the last few weeks, I have experienced slight ear pain and symptoms of tinnitus. I have tried an ear wax removal kit but still have underlying symptoms.  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could not understand what is the point of removing wax here without observing the ear canal. Please get it very clear, your eustachian tube (tube connecting the backside of the nose and middle ear) is blocked and some maneuver (Valsalva maneuver) under supervision will ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of painful pimple in inner ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this pimple in my inner ear and it has been eight days but until now it is still hurt. I am currently taking Mefenamic acid.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. There could be an infection of the hair follicle in the ear as a result of which it can create excruciating pain. Besides the wax would have further got pushed toward the ear drum causing severe pain. Plain use of antiinflammatories like Mefenamic acid alone will ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of ear pain and inner ear itching due to cold?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has an ear infection for more than one month now. She had a cold which led to her ear pain. Then she took Aplosyn for two weeks and now she is taking Nasoflo. The back of her ear until her neck has pain now. What can we do?  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there any swelling around her ears or neck? Is she a diabetic? Any throat complaints? If yes, send me a clear picture of her throat.  Read Full »

Will cleaning the ears with q-tips cause ear pain with pus?

Query: Hello doctor, Last February, I have had an ear infection from cleaning my left ear too often with a q tip. I went to the hospital and was prescribed Aplosyn otic drops, Celebrex, and an antibiotic which starts with a letter L (I forgot it as I lost the prescription. I am sorry). I took it for a we...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I know how frustrating this problem can get. You can follow the advice mentioned below. 1. Please stop using earbuds q-tips as they introduce infections into a sensitive region such as the ear. 2. If there is pus coming out of your ear, there is a possibility of you devel...  Read Full »

Will injury and pain due to slap cause phonophobia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have semi acute pain in my left ear due to someone slapped in my ear while ragging last year. I did not visit a doctor because I feel uncomfortable about discussing this issue. But nowadays I feel a sound that is like when water enters our ear. Now, I have feared of phonophobia. P...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have developed an eardrum hole i.e. perforation since the eardrum is a very delicate structure and cannot tolerate a high volume and high impact gush of air. In such a circumstance, you will definitely have symptoms such as ringing sensations, feeling of air ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of TMJ disorder?

Query: I have TMJ disorder and I was wondering if there was anything I could do about the left side TMJ getting inflamed besides just letting it be and relax, as it is pushing on the inside of my ear. I can feel/hear it making a crackling wet noise when I push my jaw forward, or a painful pushing feeling i...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! For a TMJ dysfunction you can consider the following advice Hot comprresses for 5 to 10 mins every 3 hrs for 1 week Tab mobizox (or its equivalent) one tab two times a day for 1 week. Please try to chew on the opposite side. Try to have a soft diet for next 2 weeks Do not open your mouth...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for blocked ears with pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My ear has been blocked for the past three days. There are mild pain and discomfort. This could have been caused because of the earbud. I used Ciplox ear drops and have tried Crocin pain relief, but it does not help. Ear feels extremely uncomfortable, and hearing is muffled. Please su...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not necessarily have to be due to earbuds causing otitis externa though that could be one possibility. There are others also. Can you tell me if you had a cold recently? Does it feel like there is a fluid inside the ear? Do you feel like you need to pop your ...  Read Full »