Ear Pain

Though common in children, ear pain can also occur in adults, which involves one or both sides. It is marked by a dull, burning, or sharp pain, and in infants, ear pain causes them to be fastidious and grumpy. It can also present with hearing difficulty, fluid drainage, fever, difficulty in sleeping, etc. Outer, middle, and inner ear infection, wax build-up, strep throat, sinusitis, temporomandibular disorder, perforated eardrum, impacted tooth, tooth infections, water trapped in the ear are some of the causes for ear pain.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have been experiencing sharp needle prick pain in my left ear for the past two days, which is not constant. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been experiencing sharp needle prick pain in my left ear for the past two days, which is not constant. I get cold twice a month. Could this pain be a ear infection?Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Chandni P. Engoor

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. This can be eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube connects the ear and nose. This tube gets blocked and can cause ear blockage, ear pain, and ringing sound in the ear. For this, nasal decongestant dro...  Read Full »

I ruptured my ear drum a few years ago. Why does it hurt now?

Query: Hello doctor, Seven years ago, I ruptured my right eardrum. I recently went to my doctor because I lost some of my hearing, and I have been having pains in my right ear. My doctor told me that the ear drum healed but there is a lot of scarring on it. Why is my eardrum hurting if it is improved?  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1) A ruptured eardrum, if not infected, is not a serious condition as it will usually heal by itself within 6 to 8 weeks. It is a skin-like structure, and it heals like a skin that is cut heals. In your case, you had a perforation in the eardrum seven years back, and...  Read Full »

I have recurring pain with a crackling sound in one of my ears. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have reccurring pain in one of my ears and I often hear a crackling or rustling sound in it. I also get an echo in the same ear when I hear loud noises. I had problems with my ears as a child and had grommets fitted in both ears. I examined the painful ear with a small camera, which...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay B K

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and it seems to be a retraction in the attic with multiple tympanosclerotic patches. 1. Do you have a history of ear discharge in the past? 2. Could you please...  Read Full »

What should I do if my ear pain is getting worse?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 37-year-old male, and my height is 5'11", and my weight is 89 kg. I have terrible ear pain and deafness. I am currently Sertraline. My ear pain has been getting worse over the past four days. What should I do?Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Radha Peruvemba Hariharan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of a middle ear infection. There is the possibility of wax in the ear canal. Is there any discharge from the ear? Do you have a cold or nasal block? Until you consult an ENT for this issue, for the time being, you can follow the precau...  Read Full »

I have pain in the ear and throat with an abnormal growth inside the mouth. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the ear, throat, and area near the ear, with an abnormal growth inside the mouth. I am currently not taking any medications. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay B K

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concern. I have gone through the attached image (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), and the swelling you pointed out is an inflamed tonsil. So no need to worry. It looks like an inflamed tonsil, and you ...  Read Full »

Despite medication, I have pain on the left side of my molar tooth, gums, and ear. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had extreme pain on the left side of my gums and molar tooth for the past one week. I can feel the pain in my ear also. I have taken a Mefenamic acid tablet for pain relief, but no effect. Kindly suggest me a solution.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and understood your concern. I saw the attachment, and I cannot give you a final diagnosis; whether there is caries or any other infection, as it is not clear (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). However, an X-ray will be q...  Read Full »

My doctor prescribed me steroids for ear pain and headache caused by an infection. Will taking the medication cause serious side effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to a doctor with vertigo. He said I have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Also, I started having mild, dull pain in my head and ears, so he checked that too. There were no sinus issues or no ear problems. He said the pain comes from the slightly enlarged lymph nodes below the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for contacting us on icliniq.com. So you went to the doctor for vertigo, and he examined you and concluded you have BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Well, there are certain conditions in which short-course steroids can be beneficial. One such cond...  Read Full »

Why am I having lump sensation in throat, ear pain, and post nasal drip?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male, 28 years old. I am not overweight. I had no surgeries before and no incidence of reflux, but I have sinusitis and am a heavy smoker (20 cigarettes per day). I have been smoking for around ten years. The symptoms three months ago were a sudden lump sensation in the throat. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from postnasal drip and its complications. The treatment taken by you is not of postnasal drip. So, you have not gotten any relief. I advise you to start on tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once a day, Fluticasone nasal spray, a combination of Pantoprazole...  Read Full »

I have sore throat, tonsilitis, and ear infection. What is the reason for my ear drum perforation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of sore throat and tonsil inflammation, irritation, occasional sneezing, and tiredness for the past two days. I do not have fever. My cousin who is a general physician suggested tablet Azithromycin 500mg for three days but missed the third day dose, so I took it on the...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Sore throat can cause ear problems and infection due to an opening between the back of nose and throat called eustachian tube. Sore throat increases bacterial infection from nose and throat and results in ear infection. Continue your medications for three days continuously ...  Read Full »

I have been suffering from left ear and lower jaw pain for the last six months. Why so?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from pain in the left ear and lower jaw for the last six months. Sometimes it is paining hard. I am unsure if this is a temporomandibular joint dysfunction or any other problem.  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and can understand your concern. As per the symptoms mentioned by you, there can be the following possibilities: Firstly, it could be due to temporomandibular joint dysfunction whch can be confirmed by X-ray (preferably a digital X-ray for a clearer ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.