Ear Pain

Why is my outer ear burning since my sister yelled into my ear?

Query: Hi just recently, my sister was yelling and she yelled into my ear as I was passing. I have been feeling slight vacuum and burning of outer ear since then. Is this permanent hearing loss? Please help. This is my left ear and the hearing was really good and I took online hearing test and it says no h...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, I would like to know some detailed information : 1. when the incident of your sister yelling in your ear happened? 2. After how much time of incident, you started to feel symptoms? 3. what you exactly feeling in the left ear? 4. the feeling of vacuum & burning in outer ear is persist...  Read Full »

Can cotton buds result in severe ear pain?

Query: Hello. I hope you can help. My husband was cleaning his ears using cotton buds 4 days ago, He thinks he hit something inside that cause him too much pain. After a while, he felt normal. But today, he feels so much pain and he had to take Mefenamic to kill or at least lessen the pain. He doesnt have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq, As per your history it seems your husband might be suffering from otitis externa. Otitis externa is the inflammation of the external auditory canal(EAC). Most common cause: Trauma To confirm :press the tragus : there will be pain Treatment 1)Tab Paracetamol 500m...  Read Full »

Is a burst of pain in one ear while hiccups or yawn serious?

Query: currently have a pretty significant burst of pain in my left ear when i hiccup and when I have a big yawn. There is very very slight overall pain in the left ear but I only notice it when I really think about it. A month and a half back, I ruptured my left eardrum. I was tubing in a lake, and the t...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, As per your history, you may be having referred pain from the gums or due to increase pressure in the Eustachian tube. Ear pain are really very excruciating pain. For now you don’t have to worry You can take Tab paracetamol 500mg ibuprofen 400 mg 1 Tab whenever you are feeling di...  Read Full »

What could be the problem, and how might I resolve ear pain?

Query: Hi, I have ETD in my left ear. I used debrox and the water syringe to clean wax because my ears felt clogged. Within a few hours I developed excruciating ear pain in my left ear. I immediately went to the urgent care to see if I had an infection and they said I didn't. They prescribed ear drops in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq, As per your history you might be having Otitis externa as you give the history ear manipulation or it can also be early stage of acute otitis media. To confirm otitis externa you can press your tragus, if it is painful then most likely diagnosis is otitis externa. Treat...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my ear when I chew?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get exa...  Read Full »

Can Eustachian tube catarrh result in earaches and hearing loss?

Query: I have Eustachian tube catarrh. At first I only had symptoms of tinnitus. Now after I pinched my nose and blew air through it quite aggressively for a few times, one of my ears ache and I have hearing loss. Why is it? What can I do about it? Please answer thank you!  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello sir, I would like to briefly explained about your condition, as Eustachian tube is the connecting tube between nasopharynx(back side inside the nose) and middle ear. Any dysfunction in the Eustachian tube can lead to hearing loss, fullness of ear,tinnitus. 1) As you tried to blow your nose fo...  Read Full »

Is it normal to get pain and discomfort in ears after neti pot clearance?

Query: Hello doctor, I used a neti pot yesterday, for the first time. I was doing attempting to use the pot on my right nostril, but with left nostril, everything went smoothly. My sinuses feel much clearer, but I have felt some mild ear pain in my right ear. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong and c...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Neti wash is an excellent and age old technique to cleanse the sinuses and nasal cavity, especially in people having sinus issues. When you rinse the nasal cavity there could be some ongoing inflammation in the eustachian tube, which connects the nose and the ear. In ...  Read Full »

Does earache with throat soreness indicate Coronavirus infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an earache on the left side and soreness in my throat when I swallow on the left side. Is this possibly Coronavirus?  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Family Physician, Infectious Diseases Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. COVID-19 disease could have multiple manifestations beyond the classic triad of fever, sore throat, and breathlessness and atypical symptoms like lack of smell, lack of taste and diarrhea. It is a virus that primarily affects the respiratory tract starting from nose, n...  Read Full »

Can ear irrigation to remove wax buildup result in severe ear pain?

Query: I went to my GP yesterday to get my ears irrigated as I had some wax build up that was impairing my hearing slightly. The right ear cleared fairly easily, but the left ear she had more trouble with. While she was irrigating the left ear I felt extreme pain and I had to ask her to stop. My ear felt l...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The reason why you would developed pain is due to pressure of the syringing fluid which would have temporarily tramatised your ear drum causing it to get inflammed and cause the intense pain that it is associated with. Please understand that this can take a while as the ear drum takes its own ...  Read Full »

Even after years of eardrum surgery, why does my ear hurt when I am two feet under the water?

Query: About 4 years ago, I ruptured my eardrum and then had surgery. Now it’s fully healed but when I put my head just 2 feet under the water it hurts and I can’t dive or touch the bottom of a 10 foot pool without extreme pain. I haven’t tried to completely touch the bottom because it hu...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Thanks for providing a quick history. The graft generally used to close the ear drum perforation is usually the temporalis fascia. Any graft for that matter isnt as robust as the natural ear drum and its tensile strength is never the same. There is a certain amount of pressure (both on the p...  Read Full »