Ear Pain

What could be the reason for sharp ear pain in a migraine patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a migraine. I have readjusted my eyeglasses prescription for headaches. I feel sharp pains in my right and now started to feel like it is in my left ear as well. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you would have presented to me as an outpatient, I would have told you that your medical history is grossly inadequate to make any clinical impression. Migraine is unlikely to cause sharp ear pains. It may be related to inner ear pressure abnormalities, eustachian tube...  Read Full »

My son has severe ear pain and ringing sound in ear. What is the solution for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has been complaining of severe ear pain (just right ear) and occasionally says that he hears a sound in the same ear. When he is abroad he has a nonstop cold, phlegm and chest congestion. But when he travels here he is absolutely fine. He also suffers from nose blo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you taken an adenoid x-ray? Can you upload the x-ray if you have taken it? Do you think there could be some allergen in his place abroad which could be causing allergy and nose block in your son? Does he take food properly? Is there any dust inside the house abroad...  Read Full »

Can I put Lidocaine viscous 2 % oral topical solution in ear for pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Can I put Lidocaine viscous 2 % oral topical solution qualitest in ear for pain?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not put Lidocaine 2 % viscous into ear for pain. First of all, ear pain can be due to multiple reasons. The causes of ear pain are as follows: 1. Localized causes: External ear: pinna, ear canal, Middle ear cleft: eustachian tube, facial nerve, mastoid cav...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus with ear pain after waking up. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Only when I wake up, I feel ear ache/pain, also pressure in my left ear, it only happens when I have been sleeping on the left ear. The ear ache/pain lingers for 5 minutes or so and fades away. It started 4 months ago, but seemed to go away for 1 month, but now I have had it again for...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a rare case which I saw few times. It is caused by warming the auricle while sleeping on it. Use Corticosteroid and antibiotic cream when needed. Do not apply water for your ear during the time of pain.  Read Full »

I have recurrent sore throat with ear pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a sore throat for about three weeks now. Two weeks ago I have had strep throat and doctor gave me 10 dose antibiotics but my sore throat came back on my left side and it hurts my ear and throat when I swallow still. What could this be? They did a swab for the throat but no ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the conversation I understand that you had suffered sore throat for which swab was done and appropriate antibiotic was initiated. Now again you have developed sore throat, more so on left side, with ear ache while swallowing. Most probably there is inflammation...  Read Full »

Kindly tell the management of ear pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I have left ear pain for the past 7 days and I used Ciprofloxacin drop but no relief. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain in the ear- If external ear infection was causing pain then there would have been swelling around ear visible, which I suppose is not there. Wax in external ear can also cause pain, but you do not need antibiotic drops for that. Fungal infection can also cause ...  Read Full »

I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear. Do I have an ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear, jaw crackling sounds while speaking and swollen preauricular lymph nodes, what should I do? Do I have an ear infection?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the details you have provided, there seems to be an infection. The location of it is most probably the ear (especially the outer part called auricle and external auditory canal). To be sure you must consult an ENT specialist who will examine the ear, nose and ...  Read Full »

I ruptured my ear drum a few years ago. Why does it hurt now?

Query: Hello doctor, Seven years ago, I ruptured my right eardrum. I recently went to my doctor because I lost some of my hearing, and I have been having pains in my right ear. My doctor told me that the ear drum healed but there is a lot of scarring on it. Why is my eardrum hurting if it is improved?  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1) A ruptured eardrum, if not infected, is not a serious condition as it will usually heal by itself within 6 to 8 weeks. It is a skin-like structure, and it heals like a skin that is cut heals. In your case, you had a perforation in the eardrum seven years back, and...  Read Full »

My friend is frequently suffering from an ear pain. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is frequently suffering from an outer ear pain these days. She told me that since she tends to catch a cold, it might be due to that. I fixed an appointment with an ENT yesterday, but surprisingly he told that she does not have any issues with her ear, nose, and throat. It m...  Read Full »

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Neurologist, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your friend has been taking Franxit (Amitriptyline, Chlordiazepoxide) for how long? Any anti-depressant medication should not be abruptly stopped, and all somatic symptoms and even fatigue, headache, and nervous instability could be related to sudden withdrawal also....  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my ear when I chew?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get exa...  Read Full »