Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Answered by
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2018

Hello doctor,

A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid was dropping from my throat and felt like that was a fluid from my brain, also felt like my brain is drying from inside. And I could not sleep because it feels like something is frozen in my brain.

I am feeling better now but I still feel tensions in muscles and do not see any further progress in my condition. I feel like I have head muscle weakness and got to have some X-rays or something. Please advice.

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

I understand your concerns.

Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate management:

  1. Keep your ear dry. Use earplugs when showering or swimming.
  2. Antifungal ear drops for ten days.
  3. Cipro ear drops three times for one week as antibiotic.
  4. Anti-inflammatory ear drops for one week.
  5. Follow up is required.

Regarding the brain fluid issue, it is not possible for the brain fluid to drain without being exposed to significant trauma.

As for your muscle weakness and tension, I need more details:

  1. Do you feel weakness on one side or both sides?
  2. Legs, arms, or both?
  3. Since when?
  4. Is it progressive?
  5. Is there stiffness in certain muscles?
  6. Have you tried any local creams or meds?

For more information consult a general medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?
A light green fluid is leaking from my ear. Kindly help.
Ear Discharge: How to Tackle the Problem?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to plan the treatment for ear pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old female, suffering from ear pain. The doctor confirmed that it is due to some virus and there is a small hole in my ear. Some tablets and Otobiotic drops were given. Still, it did not cure my pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.