Q. Is it safe to use Maxtra and Otek-AC ear drops for a 4. 5-year-old kid?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My daughter is 4.5-year-old and complained of severe ear pain at 12 AM. I gave her Maxtra as she has a cold and cough and Otek Ac neo 5 ml drops in the ear. She felt relief and slept after that. Is it safe to use this medicine, and how long will the effect last? Please help.

#

You can use the drops as 3 to 5 per ear on a need-based basis. It will not be harmful. However, considering the amount you require, I would suggest getting the child evaluated physically by a pediatric ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist to check for a foreign body or wax formation in the ear and treat accordingly. Further management depends on physical examination findings by the ENT. In case of excess pain, I suggest using Syrup Ibugesic plus 5 ml whenever necessary to be given orally if there is severe pain.

|