Q. For the past three days, there is a blockage in one side of my ear. Please help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

For the last three days, there is a blockage in one side of my ear. I do not feel any cold or throat infection. I tried to blow air by closing my nose and mouth, but I cannot get rid of this ear block. Please help.

#

With the symptoms that you have, the most probable possibility is impacted wax. It can be highly frustrating as it blocks the entire ear canal and can cause pain and decreased hearing.

I suggest you with the following advice:

1) Please stop using earbuds at any cost as it:

Introduces new infection into the ear canal and can be the reason for severe folliculitis.

You can end up traumatizing the ear canal and eardrum since cleaning your ear on your own is ultimately a blind technique.

The wax, which usually falls off on its own due to jaw moments, gets further pushed inside the ear and can cause trouble.

2) Soliwax ear drops (Benzocaine, Chlorbutol, Paradichlorobenzene, Turpentine oil) or ear wax dissolvent ear drops three times a day for five days. It will liquify any impacted ear wax and gradually subsides the pain and inflammation.

However, when you do not find any relief in a situation, it is best to get the retained impacted contents (wax) suctioned out under vision by visiting an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. As the wax dissolvent drops, liquefies the wax, and does not remove it altogether. Once this blob is terminated, you will find immediate relief from the symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query.

If there is anything more that you need to know or enquire about, please do let me know, and I will get back to you as soon a possible.

Warm Regards.

|