Q. Can I use earbuds to remove ear wax?

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi
Published on Sep 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation in the morning and when I drink cold water. Suggest me treatment for the same.

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching.

Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too.

So, I would suggest you use Soliwax ear drops (Paradichlorobenzene, Benzocaine, Chlorbutol, and Turpentine oil) three to five drops at night for five days and use Otek AC ear drops (Lidocaine, Beclometasone, Clotrimazole, and Furosemide) for the fungal infection in the morning (two drops) for five days.

Following this, you can go to an ENT specialist who will remove the wax and the fungal debris.

Prevent water from entering your ears and keep them dry.

Please note that if you have sticky watery or pus-like discharge from your ear or have excessive pain or fever then do not use the drops.

The irritation in your throat is probably due to a condition called LPRD (laryngopharyngeal reflux disease).

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full

What is the reason for ringing in ear post ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptom you are experiencing is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is not always due to a sinister cause. Simple conditions of the ear like wax or ear infections both of external ear canal and middle ear can cause it. First and foremost you must know that tinnitus may be ...  Read Full