Q. Can I use earbuds to remove ear wax?

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation in the morning and when I drink cold water. Suggest me treatment for the same.

#

The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching.

Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too.

So, I would suggest you use Soliwax ear drops (Paradichlorobenzene, Benzocaine, Chlorbutol, and Turpentine oil) three to five drops at night for five days and use Otek AC ear drops (Lidocaine, Beclometasone, Clotrimazole, and Furosemide) for the fungal infection in the morning (two drops) for five days.

Following this, you can go to an ENT specialist who will remove the wax and the fungal debris.

Prevent water from entering your ears and keep them dry.

Please note that if you have sticky watery or pus-like discharge from your ear or have excessive pain or fever then do not use the drops.

The irritation in your throat is probably due to a condition called LPRD (laryngopharyngeal reflux disease).

|