Ear Wax

My stepfather had mastoidectomies. Is hydrogen peroxide safe for him to clear ear wax?

Query: Hello doctor, My 84-year old stepfather had, apparently, two radical left-ear wall-up mastoidectomies in the late 50s and 60s. The second was done to fix the poor job done by the first at a county hospital for the indigent. Recently, caregivers said they were planing on using hydrogen peroxide in h...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I understand, your father had undergone two ear surgeries when he was in his 30s or so. He would have either undergone canal wall up or canal wall down mastoidectomies. Radical and modified radical come under CWD, and cortical comes under CWU mastoidectomies. Anyw...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

I feel pressure inside my ear. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old female and 160 pounds and at a height of 5’6". I have been having a problem with my left ear. I woke up one morning and felt that it was clogged and made the mistake of using a Q-tip which resulted in my being unable to pop my ear. That was over a week ago. I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possibilities are impacted wax, ear canal infection, middle ear infection, eustachian tube catarrh. Unless one sees inside the ear using an otoscope or endoscope it is difficult to diagnose. However, a course of antibiotic with decongestant and keeping ears dry till you...  Read Full »

There is otomycosis reinfection after surgical ear cleaning and tympanoplasty. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from Aspergillus otomycosis. She has had tympanoplasty surgery. She then had a surgical ear cleaning, removing the infected skin in her middle ear. This initially worked to remove the fungus, but now her ear seems to be infected again. I am not sure if it is a fungus...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In one of the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) sporangia seem to be there, but in the rest of the pictures, it is just wax. However, it is not likely to require debridement. It should go with the medications she is using.  Read Full »

What should I do for blocked ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I want some advice on my blocked ears. My ears are also paining since 7 days. Since last week, I have been suffering from cough and cold. As both the ears are blocked, I have been suffering a hearing problem too. I think wax is stuck inside my ears. I have been using an ear drops twic...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: HiWelcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern, and most likely you are suffering from eustachian tube catarrh. This is a clinical condition arises due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is a tubular connection between the middle ear and throat. Main function of this is to maint...  Read Full »

There is a separation noise under earlobe while filling mouth with air. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this strange feeling behind my jaw on the left side just under my earlobe. When I fill my mouth with air to increase the pressure, the area that is irritated fills with air and makes a strange separation noise. It sounds like pulling apart wax and hair and I can feel the air in...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem you are stating can be wax filled in the ear which is in a liquid state due to the entry of water and can cause this squishy noise in the ear. I suggest you prevent entry of water while taking bath for a few days by applying cotton to your ear during the bat...  Read Full »

Is it safe to remove ear wax with earbuds?

Query: Hello doctor, I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation i...  Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching. Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too. So, I ...  Read Full »

What is the permanent remedy for dry and itchy ear?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 50 years, has been having itching in the left ear since a month. We consulted an ENT doctor. He did an endoscopy and said that there is no wax formation and ear is dry. He asked my mom to put one or two drops of oil in the ear. She did that for a week and there seemed to...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details you have given I understand that your mother aged 50 years has been having itching in the left ear since a month which gets temporarily relieved with the application of oil. Also, an ENT consultant has ruled out any local pathology or wax or ear drum...  Read Full »

Do I need to visit a doctor for ear block issue?

Query: Hi doctor,I just tried an ear wax cleaner and it just completely blocked my ears. I am having an ear block issue even after swimming. Is there anything I can do at home? Or do I need to visit a doctor?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The wax has absorbed the cleaning fluid and got swollen blocking the ear canal. It is common. The block is transient and you keep putting the drops as advised by the ENT doctor. Usually we put drops for 4 to 5 times daily for five to six days and then go back ...  Read Full »

Why do I have ear pain and black deposits coming from the ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing ear pain since yesterday. My right ear alone is paining. When I tried cleaning with a earbud, the bud came out with a black colored deposit. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After considering the facts of your query, it appears like you are suffering from either of these. Wax in the ear. Otomycosis (fungal infection of the ear). Treatment is different in both the above situations. I suggest taking Paracetamol 500 mg for pain relief....  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.