Q. What is the reason for black discharge from my ear drum?

Dr. Oliyath Ali
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2022

I feel heaviness in my ear, and I noticed some black discharge whenever I use cotton tips to clean my ear.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I reviewed your query. It is due to ear wax impaction. So, I suggest you to stop using earbuds or any objects inside the ear; it leads to disturbance in normal cleaning mechanism, i.e., the migratory epithelial pattern of the ear, leading to even more impaction of wax in the ear. And it may sometimes cause trauma to the ear canal or even perforate the tympanic membrane.

Do not remove the ear wax yourself, and do not allow anyone except an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor to remove the ear wax.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|