Earbuds

Why do I get a painful swollen ear after cleaning the discharge from it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female. I have a swollen and painful right ear. My ear started to itch with discharge liquid two days ago, and after I tried to clean it with a cotton bud, it immediately got swollen. Please help. I am currently taking Divalproex, Sertraline, and Clonazepam for my ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With regard to your concern, as you had ear discharge, the most probable cause was otitis media. When you used earbud, it might have caused minor trauma to the external auditory canal leading to swelling. Treatment: 1) Take tablet Ampicillin 250 mg + Cloxacill...  Read Full »

I used a narrow rod to remove wax from ears with no improvement in hearing. Will it cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, I had put a narrow rod on my hear accidentally yesterday, it delivers more wax in my ear with red color and my hearing is not clear normally. I had not taken any treatment and any first aid for that.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the eardrum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and you do not have to worry too much. The defect in the eardrum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear...  Read Full »

Why do I get bleeding from my left ear without pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have blood flowing from my left ear without pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most common reason for bleeding from the ear is due to trauma. There is nothing that you need to worry about as this is extremely common. Make sure you do not use earbuds as they often traumatize the ear canal or eardrum and introduce infections. Please do not use headp...  Read Full »

How to stop ringing sound due to a tear in the ear from inserting an earbud?

Query: In my left ear a thin hole in the membrane because of the putting ear bud in the ear it has been teared now, i am getting a ringing sound in my ear. what shall i do stop the sound in my ear  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the ear drum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and you don't have worry too much. The defect in the ear drum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear and thereby you will have ...  Read Full »

Why do I have some discomfort after using a Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane. Did your ear bleed after using Q-tip? If yes, then there are high chances of perforation in your ear. Please consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible. For further information consult ...  Read Full »

How to know whether q-tip perforated the eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stuck a q tip in my ear because it was itching and I think I may have burst my eardrum. I have some pictures.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pictures are not completely clear but I cannot see any perforation. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). When did the cotton piece stuck inside your ear? Did you notice any blood drops on the cotton piece after getting it out from your ear? Do you ...  Read Full »

Why can I not hear after using Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, I cleaned my ear with a Q-tip and now I cannot hear. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com Most probably in your case the wax would have got pushed further inside due to the Q-tip (earbud). It might be occluding the canal and the ear drum totally, so you cannot hear now. I suggest you to take Dewax or wax-dissolving ear drops, three to four drops daily for th...  Read Full »

Will hearing loud noise and using earbuds cause bleeding in ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I witnessed bleeding in my left ear all of a sudden. I am listening to recordings and on phone calls continuously for the last one month, to have a clarity of what other person is talking. I am using high volume. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Narasimharaju B G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your question was incomplete. Did you have pain or having pain now? How much was the bleeding? Is there any swelling in and around the ear? Did someone hit you on your ear? Were you exposed to sudden loud sounds like a cracker? Did you use earbuds or put any other objec...  Read Full »

How to remove earwax with earbuds?

Query: Hello doctor, I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation i...  Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching. Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too. So, I ...  Read Full »

I have constant ear discharge after an eardrum surgery. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eardrum perforation since childhood. I had tympanoplasty done last year but, that failed. Now, the ear keeps discharging all the time. I completed a course of Ciprofloxacin and Dexatops ear drops but after a week, the discharge is back. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A recurrent ear discharge after a failed tympanoplasty needs to be evaluated completely. The causes can be a reservoir of infection in your mastoid bone, resistant organism, Eustachian tube dysfunction, etc. The permanent treatment is a revision tympanoplasty usually d...  Read Full »