Eating Habits In Children

My son refuses to eat anything and only enjoys junk food. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, This is regarding my 6 year old son. He is reluctant to eat and normally we have to change his focus from meal to feed him (by showing him television or something else). He smells things as well and does not eat if he does not like the smell of it. He likes cold drinks, chips, candi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the details you have provided, your kid seems to be a fussy eater. This is a common problem with kids of this age. Reasons for this problem are: Kids of this age are more interested in play rather than food. They are interested in junk food and hence dislike he...  Read Full »

Will changing the eating habits cure receding jaw?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a young teenager who has a receding jaw and I am wondering if changing my eating habits might relocate my lower jaw. I used to have poor eating habits. I ate too fast and I did not chew much. My older brother's jaw is fine. Will changing my eating habits cure my jaw?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. You need to check if you chew one side or use both sides equally. Second what you think is jaw receding, sometimes it is a malocclusion which is associated with jaw disorientation. If your lower jaw is lo...  Read Full »

What types of foods can be given to aid my little son eat properly?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old son weighs 14 kg and does not take his food properly. He has mild constipation. I would like to know what type of food does he need? Please suggest if he needs vitamin supplements.  Read Full »

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is underweight by just 2 kg. You should try giving different food items and try new recipes. All kids are fussy eaters. We should put our maximum effort to make them eat. You can give multivitamin syrup like Visyneral Z Syrup (vitamin ...  Read Full »

How can I make my little child eat well?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2-year-old boy does not eat food and does not drink milk. I am very worried. Can you kindly suggest me right treatment to solve this problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kids disliking food or milk is a very strange state. This usually it happens due to faulty weaning practices. I suggest the following: Check his weight. Is he losing weight? Weight loss needs to be evaluated with blood tests like haemoglobin. Worm infes...  Read Full »

How can I wean my little one from breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 16 months old and weighs 9 kg. He is not eating anything and even not taking milk. He only wants mother's milk. Is it fine to give an appetizer? If so, how much quantity should I have to feed him?  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child who is not taking anything or eating anything is a matter of concern. He will require evaluation with blood tests like CBC (complete blood count) and urine routine microscopy. You can continue breastfeeding. You need to try adding one taste at a time ma...  Read Full »

What foods can my 6-month-old baby eat?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has turned 6 months today. For the last 20 days, I have been giving her ragi and half a banana. Now that she is 6 months old, what cereals, vegetables, and fruits can I give her? Can I give her rice? Can I give her ghee and curd?  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, congratulations on your baby turning 6 months. You can now start her on complementary feeding. You have already started ragi, and that is good. You can give her rice and other cereals and pulses. You can start her on simple rice and keep on adding one ingredie...  Read Full »

When should my daughter get a flu vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 7 and a half months old and weighs around 8 kg. Overall, she is fine as per the latest check-up. After six months of breastfeed, she was started on solid foods as per the following schedule: 8 to 9 AM - cerelac wheat, 12 to 1 PM - rice, dhal, vegetable, 4 to 5 PM - fruit j...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she does not take fruits, please do not force her. Try some dishes with other fruits like boiled and crushed apple, mashed musk melon, etc. The taste keeps changing. Hence, if she refuses anything you can retry again after two weeks. Wheat is to be given after complet...  Read Full »

Can you please suggest changes to my son's food chart?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3 and a half years old and his weight is 14.5 kg. Since he started going to school recently, there is a change in his diet. He eats eggs from the age of one and he likes to eat non-vegetarian food. As my husband is on a paleo non-vegetarian diet, my son takes more meat now and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. His weight is fine for his age. The diet chart is quite alright, except for the following minor changes: He should be given a variety of fruits to improve the fiber content. Try to include at least one more glass of milk. It would be best to take it on days he does ...  Read Full »