Q. When should my daughter get a flu vaccine?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

My daughter is 7 and a half months old and weighs around 8 kg. Overall, she is fine as per the latest check-up. After six months of breastfeed, she was started on solid foods as per the following schedule: 8 to 9 AM - cerelac wheat, 12 to 1 PM - rice, dhal, vegetable, 4 to 5 PM - fruit juice (orange or pomegranate) or smashed banana and biscuits  7 to 8 PM - roti, dhal, vegetable. After a month, she will start taking fish. I request your help regarding a couple of issues. She is extremely reluctant to take any fruit juice or banana, although she is too comfortable with the biscuits. If we try to give her the juice, she cries to the extent that everybody at home gets afraid and finally gives up. Is there a way to make her take juices? Although her gum was quite hard from the age of 6 months, no tooth has come out yet. If she does not develop a tooth even after completing 8 months, is this a matter of concern?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• If she does not take fruits, please do not force her. Try some dishes with other fruits like boiled and crushed apple, mashed musk melon, etc. The taste keeps changing. Hence, if she refuses anything you can retry again after two weeks.
  • Wheat is to be given after completion of 9 months. Fish, egg, non-veg, and nuts are to be given only after completion of 1 year. Egg yellow can be given after 9 months.
  • About teething, if she gets one tooth by 1 year also it is alright, if not please consult a pedodontist.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

I have few questions regarding vaccination. Should we give a flu vaccine to our daughter in two months? The doctor told that it can be given either during the monsoon or winter. My son's age is 2 years and 10 months. He received two doses of influenza vaccine during winter (the second dose given a month apart from the first) for the past two years. Should we continue that or give him the single dosage during this winter? Till what age should he continue?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• The flu vaccine is given at the onset of a monsoon or winter season. It is mostly given during the monsoon season, as the new stock for that year arrives at that time.
  • The first time, two doses are given a month apart. Later, it has to be given every year. The protection lasts only for a year. As there are regular outbreaks every year, it is better to take and continued till protection is required.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|