Q. My 7. 5-month-old baby girl has trouble eating food. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I have a 7.5-month-old baby girl who has trouble eating. She drinks formula but is a problematic feeder. She swallows two to ten sips, stops, and pushes the bottle out. She keeps doing that with every feed. I barely manage to get her drinking 700 ml per day. She does not eat solids. She either gags, shivers, or pushes out of her mouth. After two tries, she stops opening her mouth. I tried finger foods as well (soft sweet potatoes, carrots, banana pieces, etc.). She would not even touch them. At most, she managed to suck on a banana from my hand but would spit out tiny pieces. She does seem to smack her lips like chewing but will not swallow or chew food. Maybe I should take a break as she starts hating food and closes her mouth when she sees it. I do not know how normal this is. She does not seem to have a problem swallowing when I distract her with a toy or she is tired. She drinks milk without any issue. She does not seem hungry enough to eat normally. Each meal lasts until the start of the next one. She has 40 ml to 60 ml every 30 minutes, crying in hunger and only eating small amounts. She seems bored and distracted while drinking. She is still gaining weight (currently weighs 7.8 kg). This last month she gained 200 g to 300 g. What should I do? How normal is this? Her doctor is not concerned, but I am. It is difficult to feed her.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

Please note the following:

1. The weight of the child is appropriate for the age, so no worries.

2. Food fussiness is very common in this age group. But as long as the weight is good, and you keep on trying, you need not worry.

Here are some points that should help you:

1. Buy a nibbler and put soft foods like banana, mango, papaya, etc., into it and give the child to munch on it and get a taste of it. You get colorful ones and ones with different patterns which children like.

2. Forceful feeding should be avoided.

3. Spend more time with the child as possible.

4. Reduce screen time to less than two hours per day (if at all exposing to mobile, television, and computer).

5. Tender-loving care and gradual introduction of one food at a time should help in the long run.

6. Find what the child likes to eat and combine it with other foods to develop a liking to all kinds of feeds.

|