Q. I have been bleeding under the skin. What could be causing it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2022

I have been bleeding under the skin in just my fingers and palm. I have attached the photo for reference. It is worse on one hand than the other, but sometimes the other hand will get worse. It has been present on and off for many years. Initially, the doctors thought that it was due to Aspirin. But, it keeps coming back even after stopping Aspirin a few years ago. It was very mild a few years ago, and now it is getting dark and happens almost every day. My current medication includes Atorvastatin, Amlodipine, and Hydrochlorothiazide. The dermatologist looked at it and confirmed that it was bleeding under the skin due to carrying a shopping bag. But, there is no pain or swelling. What could be causing it? Whom should I consult for it?

#

I have read your concern and seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems that you have developed ecchymosis (subcutaneous bleeding).

Please check your bleeding time, clotting time, and prothrombin time for any abnormalities.

Get a review with your treating physician with the results.

|