Q. I started to have symptoms of jaundice, diarrhea and fatigue after cannabis smoking. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a male with normal weight. I do not drink alcohol but I have a habit of cannabis smoking. It did it for a couple of years with short intermittent pauses for two to three weeks. I started to have symptoms of jaundice, diarrhea, and fatigue at the end of the month. I do not had any other previous symptoms on that month. I do not have any other diseases. My transaminase was normal and it was checked during the routine blood work. I have attached the reports. I did an abdominal CT with contrast and the result was normal. Plasmapheresis was done and a liver function test was also done. I had an AST of 800, ALT of 450, and total bilirubin was 12 mg/dL. After three days, I had an AST of 1010, an ALT of 505, and had total bilirubin of 14 mg/dL. During this period, I had a weight loss of 10 to 15 kilograms and my appetite was normal. I want to know my differential diagnosis and prognosis. Please suggest.



Welcome to

Please send the reports of prothrombin time and international normalized ratio. You can have a diagnosis of acute or chronic liver failure where the acute component can occur due to cannabis and the chronic component can be due to hepatitis B induced with chronic liver disease. Please send your HBV (hepatitis B) DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) quantitative report.

Thank you doctor,

I have sent the reports asked by you. I am willing to add an upper GI endoscopy report and it was with normal results.



Welcome back to

The reports are good. You have acute or chronic liver failure due to acute HBV infection or due to the use of cannabis. I suggest you stop using Cannabis and wait for 15 days. Repeat liver function test. If there is no decrease, then you need to do a liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Liver biopsy is done with the liver USG (ultrasound) guided with a needle and the removed tissue is examined under a microscope. Report to the doctor when you have a change in consciousness or drowsiness or an increase in sleepiness.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How can jaundice be treated in a 4-year-old?

.. a 4-year-old child is usually viral. My advice would be to feed her every once or twice hourly despite her desire to vomit as nutrition is the only key to faster recovery. Give her whatever she likes to eat after proper hygienic measure. Contact ...   Read full

I am having diarrhea, severe headaches, and fatigue after contraceptive pill withdrawal. Why?

.. description you have mentioned lots of issues that needs to be investigated and sorted out in detail individually. Microadenoma and hormonal imbalance are two separate issues actually those can cause different symptoms, need different investigatio...   Read full

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

.. suggest that you are probably having an autoimmune disease. For an exact diagnosis, ANA (antinuclear antibody) global or ANA profile test report and skin or muscle biopsy would be required to avoid any controversies in the future. I also need to k...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.