Q. What do the echo reports of an 18 days old baby suggest?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

Please find the attached echo reports of my 18 days old baby boy. Please review and give your feedback. Thank you.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

I have gone through the echocardiogram reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This kind of connection presents in some new borns and rarely persists for lifelong.
  • This usually does not cause any symptom, but may cause congestive cardiac failure and stroke in other age.
  • If asymptomatic, treatment is not required.

1. Normal breastfeeding and monitoring of symptoms.
2. Keep close contact with pediatricians.

For further clarifications consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

You mean he may have problems in future even if PFO is not there after some time? Please advise as I am very worried. I have attached the test reports for your reference.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

• If it is patent foramen ovale (PFO) then it usually will not cause any symptoms.
  • But, the issue that he also had left sided aortic arch. So, there might be possibility of another disease.
  • Echo must be done by dedicated pediatric cardiologist.

1. If he is asymptomatic, then it is fine. Otherwise, we need to verify the echo.
2. This happens in pediatric age group. Heart is small and it causes problem in evaluation.
3. Anyways, PFO does not cause symptoms usually. Many people have PFO that is not detected, because they are asymptomatic.

Revert back after echo to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|