iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyeczemaIs the itchy painful lesion in fingers due to fungal infection?

I have itchy painful eczema in fingers. Please help.


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Rabia Anjum

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Divya Banu M

Published At April 13, 2019
Reviewed AtAugust 1, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Eczema or fungus on right thumb and index, it looks like it is expanding and it leaves apparently dead skin behind which peels off. I have pictures for a better understanding. It itches none to moderately, it hurts slightly when applied pressure on. I am a driver.

Answered by Dr. Rabia Anjum


Welcome to icliniq.com.

From your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is more in favor of eczema but infected one. Do you use gloves while holding steering? It is not a fungal infection clinically. You have to apply combination ointment containing Betamethasone and Neomycin. The most important thing for eczema is to maintain moisture and hydration of the skin. For that you have to use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) 4 to 5 times a day. Take non-sedating antihistamine. You will get better.

Probable diagnosis


Treatment plan

Apply a combination of Betamethasone plus Neomycin ointment, Vaseline 4 to 5 times a day, take non-sedating antihistamine tablet.

Preventive measures

Maintain hygiene of area, wash with soap and water, avoid using Dettol and other irritants, use cotton gloves.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Rabia Anjum
Dr. Rabia Anjum


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

fungal infectioneczema

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy