Q. Fungal infection on the base of my penis does not subside with treatment. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 25, 2021

Hi doctor,

I wanted to ask whether I have a fungal infection around the base of my penis. It has been there for over six months, and I have seen the doctor. At first, he prescribed me Daktarin cream. It did not work. I went back, and he gave me Eumovate cream. It worked for a while, and then it came back. So I went and saw a Dermatologist, she said to use the Eumovate cream again for three weeks and then Canesten HC cream, but the problem has not gone away. So I am booked for a biopsy soon. I suddenly had a fear that it may turn to gangrene. Please can you tell me if this is true or I am just exaggerating? The infection is only dry and flaky.



Welcome to

There is no attached photograph in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to help you better.

I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you doctor,

I have attached a picture.



Welcome back to

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is a tinea infection (fungal infection). Never use a steroid cream for fungal infection. Steroid cream worsens lesions and causes recurrence.

Apply Micogel (Miconazole gel) twice daily for three weeks, Luliconazole cream at night for three weeks, and KZ soap for bath.

Avoid Scratching or rubbing lesions.

Maintain proper genital hygiene as hygiene plays a very important role in this case.

Are you a diabetic?

Thank you doctor,

I have been diagnosed as prediabetic, and that photo is one month old. Because today I had a shower and put on a moisturizer so you cannot see the infection today. But I feared that it would turn to gangrene. Can you reassure me? A dermatologist in my country prescribed steroid creams.



Welcome back to

Never use steroids again. Do not worry. Everything will be fine. It is nothing serious.

Maintain proper genital hygiene to avoid recurrence of infection. And maintain proper control over sugar levels.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have recalcitrant tinea incognito and Itraconazole did not help. Why?

My doctor advised Itraconazole oral and topical Sertaconazole, Lulliconazole, and Eberconazole on different relapses ... Initially, I was responding well with oral Itraconazole which is taken for...   Read full

I am suffering from tinea cruris (itching near scrotum). Please advise.

Dear doctor, Is it possible to use the VeinGogh treatment on the sclera of the eye to remove permanently the dilated blood vessels (telangiectasia of the sclera)?   Read full

I am diabetic and suffering from rashes and cuts in my penis. Please advice.

Dear doctor, Is it possible to use the VeinGogh treatment on the sclera of the eye to remove permanently the dilated blood vessels (telangiectasia of the sclera)?   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.