Q. What is the reason for right side body swelling?

Published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

Four days back my right side arm, leg and foot got swollen. I am taking Levothyroxine regularly. I do not have any other issue. Please help.

#

• I would suggest you to consult a physician and have a physical examination as soon as possible.
  • You may need to carry out complete blood count, liver and kidney function test, heart ultrasound, total proteins in body and thyroid profile.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is it blood clot? What is your opinion?

#

• Yes, there could be a blood clot which can lead to edema (swelling) due to obstruction to flow leading to increased hydrostatic pressure in the venous system and causing swelling.
  • A Doppler study can confirm it, but common causes should be ruled out first.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is there a way to make the swelling go down? How to lessen the pain in my right foot? What are the common causes? I really cannot afford to go to ER. How to know whether this is serious?

#

• Since it is present for four days it cannot be ignored and warrants medical evaluation.
  • If I was your treating doctor, then I would have carried out D-Dimer followed by Doppler to rule out DVT - deep vein thrombosis, which is my main concern right now.
  • Other causes could be kidney or liver disease, heart disease, low serum proteins, hypothyroidism, chronic venous insufficiency, abdominal or pelvic CT imaging to rule out any growth causing venous compromise, pulmonary hypertension and some medications.
  • Once the cause is removed the swelling will automatically subside.

I have reddish brown dots on my ankles. What can they be?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26 year old male, very active. I have these reddish brown dots on my ankles. I have had for at least four years now. They are only reddish when they are fresh and then they fade to like a dark brown like color. I also noticed that my ankles were becoming a bit swollen too. I star...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause high D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full »

Please suggest me an antibiotic to get rid of cellulitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from cellulitis in the lower part of the leg from the last 15 days. I had consulted a doctor and he prescribed Clarithromycin 500 mg. The infection was greatly reduced. As soon as I stopped using antibiotic, it became red and pain started again over the part where it was pr...  Read Full »