Q. What is the reason for right side body swelling?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

Four days back my right side arm, leg and foot got swollen. I am taking Levothyroxine regularly. I do not have any other issue. Please help.

#

• I would suggest you to consult a physician and have a physical examination as soon as possible.
  • You may need to carry out complete blood count, liver and kidney function test, heart ultrasound, total proteins in body and thyroid profile.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is it blood clot? What is your opinion?

#

• Yes, there could be a blood clot which can lead to edema (swelling) due to obstruction to flow leading to increased hydrostatic pressure in the venous system and causing swelling.
  • A Doppler study can confirm it, but common causes should be ruled out first.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is there a way to make the swelling go down? How to lessen the pain in my right foot? What are the common causes? I really cannot afford to go to ER. How to know whether this is serious?

#

• Since it is present for four days it cannot be ignored and warrants medical evaluation.
  • If I was your treating doctor, then I would have carried out D-Dimer followed by Doppler to rule out DVT - deep vein thrombosis, which is my main concern right now.
  • Other causes could be kidney or liver disease, heart disease, low serum proteins, hypothyroidism, chronic venous insufficiency, abdominal or pelvic CT imaging to rule out any growth causing venous compromise, pulmonary hypertension and some medications.
  • Once the cause is removed the swelling will automatically subside.

|