Edema

Please give an opinion on my 6 months pregnant wife having placenta previa with no fetal movements..

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is six months pregnant. Till, now she is not feeling any fetal movements. Her recent ultrasound shows placenta previa. She is having pain in her stomach, along with edema on both the feet. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the symptoms you have mentioned, I feel you should immediately go to the obstetrician and get an urgent ultrasound done first to learn about the fetal well being. It is not a good sign that she has not felt the baby movements as of now. Secondly, with placenta p...  Read Full »

I am having racing heartbeat and arrhythmia with swelling of legs. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Elevated blood pressure first detected at age 18 (runs in family on maternal grandmother's side). Never really treated until age 72 (anesthesiologist requirement prior to cataract surgery). Lisinopril 20 mg and Amlodipine 10 mg. Continued until age 76 with doctor altering dosage and f...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would recommend checking thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction and continue taking antihypertensive medication. Regarding possible arrhythmia, I would recommend performing an ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG monitor...  Read Full »

How can whole body swelling be reduced after bypass surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 80-year-old grandmother who went in for a triple heart bypass a year back. But she now suffers from swelling throughout her body. The diuretics will not help. How do we get this fluid out of her?  Read Full »

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Getting rid of these fluids is dependent on knowing the cause of its accumulation. She may need to increase the dose or change to intravenous diuretics (to be taken in the hospital). We should check also protein levels in the blood and liver and kidney functions. Follow...  Read Full »

What causes swelling on left side of the body?

Query: Hi doctor, Four days back my right side arm, leg and foot got swollen. I am taking Levothyroxine regularly. I do not have any other issue. Please help.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Right side swelling could be due to edema, allergic inflammation or infection. I would suggest you to consult a physician and have a physical examination as soon as possible. You may need to carry out complete blood count, liver and kidney function test, hea...  Read Full »

Had Polyethylene glycol before 40 days and alcohol before 7 days. Will I get any adverse reaction?

Query: Hi doctor, I was given with Polyethylene glycol for 40 days before undergoing endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures. I had symptoms of edema and consumed 200 ml of alcohol before seven days. Can I have possible adverse reactions?  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please explain about the purpose for doing colonoscopy and endoscopy. Edema can occur due to many reasons. It can occur due to nutritional deficiency.  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »

Do birth control pills cause nephrotic syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been taking birth control pills for five months, since she gave birth. About two months ago, she started having some swelling in her feet and legs. She waited to see if it would go away, but it did not. Her doctor did some tests and found protein in the urine, so she sent ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your physician said, birth control pills do not cause nephrotic syndrome or protein in urine. Nephrotic syndrome is the combination of nephrotic range proteinuria (more than 3 g of protein in urine) with a low serum albumin level and edema. The etiology or cause of ...  Read Full »

What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having extreme swelling from under the breast to the belly. My legs and feet are also very swollen and painful. I have gained 40 pounds in two years with no change in diet or activity. My lower legs and ankles were swollen about a year ago. I went through all the horrible heart test...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swelling of feet and ankle is known as pedal edema. Edema occurs due to the accumulation of fluid in the tissues. There are many causes of edema. One is congestive cardiac failure or right heart disease. As this progress, it appears in abdominal wall too. Is ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like back top of throat is being sucked down after episode of sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, When I create suction in the back of my throat as if to pull the snot into my mouth, essentially to clear it and hock a loogie. I feel like the back top of my throat is being sucked down. Like a flap of skin or a little bullfrog action then it goes back when I stop. Not painful but un...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please send me a picture of your throat and oral cavity? It can be due to throat infection which will cause edema of throat and uvula and you will feel as if something is stuck in your throat. Also, let me know if phlegm trickles down from nasopharynx to throat ...  Read Full »

I stepped on a rusty nail and now it is red and sore. What is the X-ray diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on a rusty nail in the garage two days ago. The area around it is somewhat red and very very sore. I cannot apply any pressure. I had my tetanus and I am on antibiotics. I had an X-ray with no foreign object found. Then I had a couple MRI scans done in the area. I would like...  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI foot shows a considerable amount of localized subcutaneous edema. The visualized plantar tendons do not show any signs of inflammation. No obvious retained foreign body is seen. However, a good antiseptic care is recommended. Keep a check on any discharge from ...  Read Full »