Electromyogram

Apart from ALS, which other conditions cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »

Why are my feet tingly?

Query: Hello doctor, Since 19 months, I have had severe problems with tingling in my feet. This started one week after a 27 km run, where I suddenly got pain in my feet and had to stop. The pain went away, but the tingling started in my left foot one week later. At first, some intermittent buzzing in the o...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If NCV (nerve conduction velocity) and EMG (electromyography) had been normal, there is possibility can be: Muscle fatigue. Ligament or soft tissue injury pain. Mild neuropraxia due to some soft tissue injury, which is not evident in NCV. Radiculopathy. I would like to...  Read Full »

Can you review my EMG, and reassure me that it is not ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, I want a review of EMG analysis to reassure it to be unlikely ALS onset. My knee and arm reflexes were normal, as were the strength tests. Does "good recruitment" in the presence of atrial fibrillation and occasional positive waves point away from ALS or MND? In those cases, would not th...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your query and understand your concerns.First of all, I would like to inform you that the available EMG (electromyography) report do not suggest anything which is found in motor neuron disease. My observation is based on the following facts:There are no fasciculatio...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms normally seen in peroneal neuropathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I got peroneal neuropathy after bariatric surgery. I have lost 97 lbs in the last six months, and all of a sudden, I was diagnosed with peroneal neuropathy in my right leg. My right leg was numb from the knee down all through my toes, but now the numbness has subsided and only my big toe ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Foot drop and impaired sensation on the outer side of the leg below the knee is possible by common peroneal neuropathy. But same can also happen by the involvement of partial sciatic nerve involvement or lumbar plexus involvement or the involvement of roots coming...  Read Full »

Can essential tremor cause post-micturition dribble and a diminished sense of smell?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male who was diagnosed with essential tremor six years ago. Presently, I have tremors only in my right hand and thumb, but it feels like my entire body wants to move. Before, I used to get tremors on some movement, but nowadays, it is present even while at rest. I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the history which you have provided, it seems to be a progressive neurological condition. Essential tremor is diagnosed when there is no pathology in the brain, and the cause is idiopathic or unknown. But in your case, it is a bit of concern as you have developed...  Read Full »

I have continuous twitches throughout the day. What could this be?

Query: Hi doctor, My calves have been twitching throughout the day for about two months now. But, I do not have any weakness. It occurs in different spots on both calves. What could this be?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know a few more things. Is there any change in your weight in the last two months? Did you observe any change in your lifestyle in the last last months? Did you start any exertion during this period? 90% of the normal population experience muscle twitches,...  Read Full »

Please explain the presentation of DVT.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old healthy female. All day today, I have had sharp pain in one tiny spot on my left hand. There is a tiny red mark that looks like a scratch, but it is not. It is not warm, but the pain is also spreading to my arm. I have also had the same type of pain in both my legs and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.DVT - deep vein thrombosis classically presents as sharp, unilateral limb pain with swelling, redness and extreme pain especially if someone tries to squeeze it.What you are explaining here is neuropathic pain. Your BMI is not low, but is on the lower side of the range ...  Read Full »

Following cervical surgery, my thumb went completely numb. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an MRI last year, which indicated a herniated disc and stenosis at C6-C7 left. So, I had cervical surgery ACDF. Still, l had pain for a couple of months and the MRI showed to my dismay that I still had stenosis with displacement of the C7 nerve root. Also, it showed that C5-C6 protr...  Read Full »

Dr. Tony Magana

Neuro Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes it can take time for radiculopathy to improve even up to a year. If your neurological function is getting worse then a repeat MRI would be advisable. If the symptoms are the same and your neurological examination is not worse then you can wait before repeating a...  Read Full »

Does my EMG report show any issue with peripheral nervous system?

Query: Hello doctor, My EMG report is as follows. Pelvic EMG: Pudendal nerve motor latency: left 1.9 and right 2.4. EMG: Bulbocavernosus muscle and anal sphincter shows denervation with reinnervation and anal sphincter shows high voltage polyphasic potentials. Does this imply a problem in the peripheral...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Tests of any nature are interpreted with clinical information and it is almost never possible to interpret results without clinical information. The same is applicable for isolated information of electromyography (EMG). I fe...  Read Full »