Q. I have continuous twitches throughout the day. What could this be?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

My calves have been twitching throughout the day for about two months now. But, I do not have any weakness. It occurs in different spots on both calves. What could this be?

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

I would like to know a few more things.

• Is there any change in your weight in the last two months? Did you observe any change in your lifestyle in the last last months?
  • Did you start any exertion during this period?
  • 90% of the normal population experience muscle twitches, which are physiological. Still, I need to know the answers to the above to be sure about the diagnosis.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

There is no change in weight. I workout quite a bit and run every other day. I can still do everything I have been doing normally. But, I have twitches constantly throughout my lower legs. I do not have any pain.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

• Most likely it is a physiological response of your muscles.
  • It should reduce with reduction in amount of exertion. Give a trial of avoiding running and workout for a week and see how it goes.
  • In case, if it still bothers you, can get an EMG (electromyography) done for the calf muscles to rule out the neuronal disease pattern, which is highly unlikely.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

As long as you think there is nothing much to worry about I will just keep going. I just freak out over health stuff.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

• Yes, that is right. You can carry on.
  • Yet, I would suggest that as we discussed during last conversation, avoid exertion for a week and be sure that it is physiological.

| 

I always have a dull unilateral headache. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had headache in late night. I managed to sleep, but it was still there in the morning. It was unilateral headache on the left side of my head. Pain is in my temporal area which sometimes radiates across my cheek and even down my jaw, as well as on the top left of my...  Read Full »

What is the cause of widespread muscle twitching and sweaty palms?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 25 years old. What can be causing me to get widespread muscle twitching (twitches last about five seconds and go away and reoccur in a different muscle minutes or hours after)? Legs and hands get shaky, hands get sweaty, at night I feel like my legs are vibrating and my hear...  Read Full »

Are the cramps I am experiencing are due to ALS or MND?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male and in need of some reassurance over my serious health anxiety re MND (ALS). I am not normally anxious or depressed, married with a young daughter and a wife who is pregnant. It stared with an entire all day leg ache (left leg). Two days later my arm started to...  Read Full »