Q. How does CBT help in treating electrophobia?

Dr. Bharat Udey
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I am waiting for CBT therapy for fear of electricity. Getting concerned as no therapist has come across this before. How can they help me as the electricity is everywhere? I am afraid of the electricity in general. If I am being exposed to each appliance separately, that would take a long time. How will this help me with the electricity coming into the property in general?

I am so worried that I am not going to get any help. This is such a vast fear to have. Please offer me some hope.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) does not mean only exposure to fearful situations and then desensitizing. Exposure can be done to group of appliances at a time, rather than a single appliance. Besides this mental exposure task can also be performed which will help to reduce the fear to the electricity.
  • Besides desensitization, EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) can also be used which is equally successful for the treatment of phobias.
  • Though the above mentioned CBT techniques are difficult and time consuming, if your motivation is high, then they are apt for the treatment. To reduce the duration, a combination of pharmacotherapy+CBT should be used rather than the individual techniques.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Brain Stimulation Techniques in Psychiatry

Article Overview: Novel brain stimulation techniques have cropped up in the field of psychiatry. These have brought about a paradigm and tectonic shift in the way health care is delivered. The focus of this article will be on the newer modalities of brain stimulation in the treatment of complex neuropsychiatric disorders. Read Article

Brain stimulation therapy is a broad term that encompasses a set of techniques used to stimulate brain cells. After having psychotherapy and highly effective psychotropics in their treatment armamentarium, psychiatrists are now foraying into the field of interventional psychiatry. However, these the...  Read Article

I have a habit of tongue thrusting. How to stop it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a habit of tongue thrusting. Now, I am using permanent retainers for the past four months. How to overcome it?  Read Full »

How to overcome the fear of electric shock?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 17 years old and mostly healthy. I had an EEG and an MRI several months back; both came back fine. I suffer from OCD related tension headaches. On the 15th, I was in my father's office looking for something. It was too dark and so I decided to turn on my dad's lamp. It is an archa...  Read Full »