Q. Kindly guide me based on the blood electrophoresis report.

My younger brother's blood electrophoresis report is HbA 61.5, HbS 34.5, and HbF 3.6. So kindly tell me the condition of the patient and precautions to be taken.

#

Your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is suggestive of sickle cell plus beta thalassemia combination case. It can be sickle cell trait as well. For further confirmation, a molecular study can be done. As it is a homozygous condition, there is no need to worry. Folic acid can be prescribed if needed. No special treatment is needed. To confirm the diagnosis of sickle cell trait and sickle thalassemia combination case molecular study is advisable.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|