Q. My body is producing lot of male hormones. How do I rectify?

Answered by
Dr. Rohit Jain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2019

Hi doctor,

I have a sickle cell trait. I was diagnosed with pcos and pmdd. I got a colonoscopy done for chronic constipation. But, the report was inconclusive. My main concern is that, my body is producing lot of male hormones. Due to which, I have a lot of facial hair and have a deep voice. On a regular basis, I have low blood sugar as well as low blood pressure, chronic fatigue, and chronic lower left abdominal pain. My periods are regular, but they are very heavy. I do have shortness of breath, muscle ache, headache, nausea and weight gain issues. Also, I am dealing with depression, mood swings, trouble to concentrate and at times insomnia. I am taking tablet Metformin. I am attaching all my reports for your reference. Please check them and guide me accordingly.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have multiple issues with your hormonal levels. I will provide some guidelines which you can proceed with:

Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is very low. This means you are overproducing thyroid hormones and having hyperthyroidism.

This causes anxiety, anger, palpitations, fatigue, muscle pain, intense bleeding during periods and depression and also leads to weight loss.

Treatment is carried out by using antithyroid drugs such as Neo-Mercazole (Carbimazole). The dose can only be calculated by proper examination and evaluation of the patient. It is not safe to administer this drug just by seeing a report.

Your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 6.5. Hence, you are considered to be mildly diabetic. It can be either due to excess cortisol production or due to frank pancreas failure.

After thorough evaluation, if cortisol is the cause, then we can start steroid reducing drugs. This has to be adjusted as per your body type. If overdose administered, it is dangerous.

If there is frank diabetes, then you can be take small amounts of OHA (oral hypoglycemic agents) such as tablet Glimepiride or Dipeptidyl peptidase- 4 inhibitor (DPP4I) or go with peroxisome proliferator-activated inhibitor (PPAR).

To check why there is rise of A1C, I would suggest you to get your blood insulin levels checked.

Intense bleeding and pain during your periods is mainly due to multiple fibroids. It can be treated with surgery. If you have grown up kids then you can go for removal of uterus which will give you complete relief. Else, you can go for myomectomy procedure which is cutting the fibroids. In second case, there will be relief to a large extent but cannot be cured completely.

Use hormonal pills like Oral contraceptive pills (OCP) to give relief when done non surgically. But, it will not last long.

The high testosterone levels, hair growth, weight gain, hoarse voice all are due to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

There is no permanent cure for this problem. Depending on your examination, generally start with tablet Metformin. But it has not worked in your case.

Next option is to take hormonal injections to increase follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and estrogen and reduce testosterone.

We can do an ovarian drilling to increase egg release along with regular exercise.

When all this fails, we go for intense treatment and do an ovary removal to reduce abnormal hormone production.

Since multiple hormones are involved in your case, doctor will not be able to adjust the dosage without physically examining you.

I would suggest you to consult a good physician and get them treated as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that lasts for eight to nine days ... If you do not get surgery, then there is a tendency of recurrent heavy menstrual...   Read full

Can uterine fibroid be cured without surgery?

I have heavy bleeding from two or three months ... The heavy bleeding may be due to the fibroid and menopausal symptoms ...   Read full

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

.. you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.