Q. My body is producing lot of male hormones. How do I rectify?

Dr. Rohit Jain
Published on Jan 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2019

I have a sickle cell trait. I was diagnosed with pcos and pmdd. I got a colonoscopy done for chronic constipation. But, the report was inconclusive. My main concern is that, my body is producing lot of male hormones. Due to which, I have a lot of facial hair and have a deep voice. On a regular basis, I have low blood sugar as well as low blood pressure, chronic fatigue, and chronic lower left abdominal pain. My periods are regular, but they are very heavy. I do have shortness of breath, muscle ache, headache, nausea and weight gain issues. Also, I am dealing with depression, mood swings, trouble to concentrate and at times insomnia. I am taking tablet Metformin. I am attaching all my reports for your reference. Please check them and guide me accordingly.

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiology Critical Care Physician Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Sexology
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have multiple issues with your hormonal levels. I will provide some guidelines which you can proceed with:

Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is very low. This means you are overproducing thyroid hormones and having hyperthyroidism.

This causes anxiety, anger, palpitations, fatigue, muscle pain, intense bleeding during periods and depression and also leads to weight loss.

Treatment is carried out by using antithyroid drugs such as Neo-Mercazole (Carbimazole). The dose can only be calculated by proper examination and evaluation of the patient. It is not safe to administer this drug just by seeing a report.

Your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 6.5. Hence, you are considered to be mildly diabetic. It can be either due to excess cortisol production or due to frank pancreas failure.

After thorough evaluation, if cortisol is the cause, then we can start steroid reducing drugs. This has to be adjusted as per your body type. If overdose administered, it is dangerous.

If there is frank diabetes, then you can be take small amounts of OHA (oral hypoglycemic agents) such as tablet Glimepiride or Dipeptidyl peptidase- 4 inhibitor (DPP4I) or go with peroxisome proliferator-activated inhibitor (PPAR).

To check why there is rise of A1C, I would suggest you to get your blood insulin levels checked.

Intense bleeding and pain during your periods is mainly due to multiple fibroids. It can be treated with surgery. If you have grown up kids then you can go for removal of uterus which will give you complete relief. Else, you can go for myomectomy procedure which is cutting the fibroids. In second case, there will be relief to a large extent but cannot be cured completely.

Use hormonal pills like Oral contraceptive pills (OCP) to give relief when done non surgically. But, it will not last long.

The high testosterone levels, hair growth, weight gain, hoarse voice all are due to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

There is no permanent cure for this problem. Depending on your examination, generally start with tablet Metformin. But it has not worked in your case.

Next option is to take hormonal injections to increase follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and estrogen and reduce testosterone.

We can do an ovarian drilling to increase egg release along with regular exercise.

When all this fails, we go for intense treatment and do an ovary removal to reduce abnormal hormone production.

Since multiple hormones are involved in your case, doctor will not be able to adjust the dosage without physically examining you.

I would suggest you to consult a good physician and get them treated as soon as possible.

Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? No. Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Yes, it compl...  Read Full

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Suffering from subclinical hyperthyroidism with anxiety and palpitations.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my 15 year old daughter. Her symptoms have developed most significantly over the past few months, and include depression, weakness, constant light-headedness, shortness of breath (even when sitting still), difficulty taking a deep breath (ca...  Read Full >>

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, It is really sad to know about your daughter. 1. As a matter of fact your daughter seems to have acute thyroiditis. Though the thyroid profile has not shown full blown thyrotoxic state, she has subclinical hyperthyroidism with TSH being suppressed. Since how long has she been like this? Thyroidi...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now