Q. I do not have any symptoms of jaundice, but my bilirubin level is abnormal. Why?

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 26 year old male, and I am a triathlete. Seven years back, I suffered from jaundice. I check my blood bilirubin every six months and liver function test every year. The result showed abnormal bilirubin level; the total bilirubin was 3.5. The LFT was normal. I also got an ultrasound of the liver, and the reports were normal. I do not have any symptoms of jaundice like yellowish skin, vomiting, abdominal pain, tiredness, weight loss, etc. Only the blood test shows abnormal level. I consume alcohol once in 2 to 3 weeks.

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• I can imagine that you are concerned about your liver. I understand that you do not have any discomfort and ultrasound is normal.
  • Your test result is compatible with a harmless condition named Gilbert's syndrome. In this syndrome, a pigment named bilirubin is not excreted normally. This condition can be exacerbated by tiredness, sleeplessness, and illnesses. It is not considered a disease and does not need any treatment.

Take care.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Thanks for your response. How much alcohol can a person consume for it to have no effect on the liver? What is the recommended level for alcohol intake?

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi

Medical Gastroenterology
#

You are welcome.

• You should not consume more than 1 to 2 small drinks each time. The less, the better.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|