Q. I do not have any symptoms of jaundice, but my bilirubin level is abnormal. Why?

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi
Published on May 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 26 year old male, and I am a triathlete. Seven years back, I suffered from jaundice. I check my blood bilirubin every six months and liver function test every year. The result showed abnormal bilirubin level; the total bilirubin was 3.5. The LFT was normal. I also got an ultrasound of the liver, and the reports were normal. I do not have any symptoms of jaundice like yellowish skin, vomiting, abdominal pain, tiredness, weight loss, etc. Only the blood test shows abnormal level. I consume alcohol once in 2 to 3 weeks.

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• I can imagine that you are concerned about your liver. I understand that you do not have any discomfort and ultrasound is normal.
  • Your test result is compatible with a harmless condition named Gilbert's syndrome. In this syndrome, a pigment named bilirubin is not excreted normally. This condition can be exacerbated by tiredness, sleeplessness, and illnesses. It is not considered a disease and does not need any treatment.

Take care.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Thanks for your response. How much alcohol can a person consume for it to have no effect on the liver? What is the recommended level for alcohol intake?

Dr. Rosita Alizadeh Shalchi

Medical Gastroenterology
#

You are welcome.

• You should not consume more than 1 to 2 small drinks each time. The less, the better.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

What vitamin deficiency causes nosebleeds?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 68 years old, and two of her recent consecutive blood reports show very high vitamin B12 levels, over 1500. Her nose has bled for 3 to 4 times in the last six months. Last week, the bleeding was not stopping so she had to be admitted. She has undergone a valve replacement ...  Read Full »

What causes a rise in liver enzymes?

Query: Hello doctor, Today I took blood test and found out that triglycerides, aspartate transaminase and alanine aminotransferase are high. One week back, I had taken Liv.52 DS, triphala and bael. Shall I continue them? Or should take any other medicine? I have attached my medical reports. Kindly check th...  Read Full »

My brother gets jaundice every 3 to 4 months. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has jaundice, which comes after every three to four months. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every three months. The doctors say that the number of cells in his body that are getting destroyed are...  Read Full »