Q. Please tell me if my IgM levels are very high or moderately elevated.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

I am 29 years old. I have a problem and I need someone to help me. I am going to do an elective surgery and I have done a medical checkup. All the blood tests came back normal. I also did tests for IgG and IgM. IgG came back normal but IgM was elevated with a level of 8.41 g/L. My health condition is good without symptoms. I have an autoimmune disease called colitis ulcerosa. Currently, I am in remission. Before three months, I had a bad flare-up. Please tell me whether my IgM levels are high or moderately elevated. Is it dangerous to have elevated IgM levels? My doctor told me that it is not a cause of concern. I have health anxiety and read online that IgM levels seem to be elevated due to hematological issues.

#

Your IgM (immunoglobulin M) is high but it is not severe. You do not have symptoms and so there is nothing to worry about it. It is not dangerous and IgM is seen during infections. It shows that your body has an infection now and antibodies in the body deal with it. Normally, IgM gets raised when you have an infection and the antibodies fight against it. This is a normal phenomenon. Do not get worried about hematological issues. It means blood issues. You can have anemia. Elevated IgM is seen due to colitis ulcerosa in you.

|