Q. Which infection causes sore throat, white patches, and excess mucus?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 17, 2022

I have a sore throat, white patches, excess mucus (postnasal drip), and small red bumps on my tongue. What kind of infection is this?

#

I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you have a bacterial throat infection and the red spots on the tongue are due to inflamed tongue papillae.

For confirmation, consult an otolaryngologist and get a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations like throat swab culture can help in diagnosis. They will suggest a course of antibiotics like Augmentin, anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen, doing warm saline gargles, steam inhalation and using a humidifier in your room.

You can also suck throat lozenges, chew Vitamin C pellet and avoid spicy and chilled foods. Hope this helps.

For more information consult a dentist online.

|