iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyemergency contraceptive pillCan contraceptive pills be taken if periods are delayed?

Should my fiancee consume a contraceptive pill in case she misses her period?

Should my fiancee consume a contraceptive pill in case she misses her period?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 29, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 13, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My fiancée and I had sex this weekend. It was unprotected and I ejaculated inside. We had sex during her safe days. She is expecting her periods in a day or two. Can there be any chance of delay in her periods? Can she consume a contraceptive pill within 72 hours and avoid pregnancy? I have asked her to consume the pill tomorrow (60 hours after sex) in case she misses her periods. Please advise.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

If she is getting regular 30 days period cycle and you had intercourse after the 20th day of her period then there are no chances of pregnancy. Also, no need to take any contraceptive pill as her periods are due in two to three days. The period can delay because of stress and tension.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the super quick reply.

Yes, she is getting her regular 30 day period cycle. The intercourse was after the 20 day period.

Thank you very much.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You are welcome.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sathawane Aparna Mulchand
Dr. Sathawane Aparna Mulchand

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy