Q. I took emergency contraceptive pills few days back. I am bleeding today. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2018

I had my periods on the 15th of last month, and I had sex on 25th. I took emergency contraceptive pills on the 26th. I am bleeding today. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

No, you are not pregnant. You had your emergency contraceptive pills on the 26th, so this bleeding must be withdrawal bleeding due to that drug. But if bleeding does not settle, get one ultrasound scan done and rest assured.

| 

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

What are the first signs of early-onset menopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article