Q. Kindly diagnose my condition based on the biopsy report done for enlarged lymph nodes.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I had enlarged lymph nodes on both sides of the neck. I sought a consult and had a neck dissection and biopsy. I believe I am healthy. I do not feel anything except for the enlarged lymph nodes. It was noted in the result Histiocytic Necrotizing Lymphadenitis consider:

1.Kikuchi-Fujimoto

2.Lupus Adenitis

Correlation with serum studies for SLE (Systemic lupus erythematosus) is suggested. So what to do? I hope you can help me. Thank you so much.

#

I have gone through the details submitted. Localized painless cervical lymphadenopathy, kikuchi's lymphadenitis, is a well-known, though uncommon idiopathic lymphadenitis. It is a self-limiting entity and will remit on its own. The close differential diagnosis is lupus lymphadenitis. Do you have any joint pains, fever, myalgias, fatigue? Do you have enlarged lymph nodes in the armpits, inguinal regions? Just slide your fingers in these regions and see for any enlarged nodes? Do you have any skin rash and any other systemic symptoms? If you have any of the above symptoms, you need to get screened for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus)to rule it out, ANA (antinuclear antibody)screening, and their ANA profile. Do not even think about it. Maintain good oral hygiene. Do warm water or saltwater gargling frequently. If any of the above complaints appear positive, do revert. Get peripheral smear, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), serum LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase), along the above in case your symptoms increase.

|