Q. Why does the pulse rate fall in a 4-year-old after administration of Epinephrine?

Answered by Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Epinephrine or Pulse Rate? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am reviewing the patient care of a 4-year-old child diagnosed with the flu. He was having trouble breathing, so we called an ambulance. I was very apprehensive about him receiving any drugs from a doctor. His pulse was 149, 161, and 150. The medic then said his pulse was falling, which I did not see. He then requested an order to give Epinephrine, which does not make sense to me. His pulse rate then fell quickly. What is your opinion?