Q. Should I consult a doctor for ADHD?

Dr. Amritagarwal

For years now, I have come to believe I have ADHD. I have the hardest time focusing, staying on task, and following things through. I do not want to self-diagnose, but I know something is wrong. Every time I go to the doctors, it is always with my parents and I have never had the chance to really explain to the doctor how I have been feeling. Now that I am almost 19 years old, I was wondering if I should go to the doctor and tell them how I have been feeling for most of my life. I am going to start college and I do not want to fail like I did back in high school or have such a rough time. My only issue is that because I have never said anything to my doctor in the past I do not want to be looked at like I am just trying to score some drugs. I am very torn as to what I should do. I also have to pay my way through college myself and If I cannot stay on task like high school, it is going to be very hard and I do not want to fail because I will lose money for those classes. I am very stressed out and just looking for an answer. Should I go see a doctor?

#

You should definitely visit your doctor and discuss all your problems wholeheartedly. But in spite of that, I would like to advise few things.

Stop thinking that you would fail or lose money. Instead, think positive and focus on how you could perform better. Do not try to stop thinking negative, instead whenever some negative thought comes in your mind divert your thoughts in a positive direction by thinking about good things in your life because everyone has some good and bad things in life.

Start doing 25 minutes of brisk walking or exercise daily, it will lead to the release of anti-stress hormone endorphins. Use perfumes, it also leads to release of serotonin and increase dopamine level which will decrease your anxiety or stress level.

If possible indulge yourself in learning something new that you are interested in, as it also leads to elevation of mood and release of epinephrine and norepinephrine.

If your blood pressure is normal or in normal lower range, eat more of salty things it also leads to raised epinephrine levels.

Attention deficit hyperactivity syndrome is not that harmful to your health as the negative thoughts are, and medicines are given for a certain period, but your attitude and habits will help you shorten the duration of the treatment and stay positive all through your life. Do not take life or circumstances too seriously, all things are temporary.

For more information consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

|