Epistaxis

Is getting a small amount of blood in nose while blowing a serious issue?

Query: Hi doctor, I am noticing a small amount of blood (less than a drop) in the tissue when I dap my nose. There is no blood when I sneeze. Occasionally, I have a little bit of blood when I blow my nose (again less than a drop). I have been trying a humidifier at night and saline nasal spray. Is it som...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nasal bleed or epistaxis can occur due to several causes, and of these, idiopathic is the most common. It may be be due to minor unrecognized trauma like forceful blowing, nose picking, rubbing, etc. Epistaxis can also occur in common cold. Certain people have thin m...  Read Full »

What causes on and off nosebleeds?

Query: Hi Doctor, I have a nose bleed time to time, and it happens sometimes when I am under stress or pressure. Sometimes when am relaxed it happens too. It started first like 5yrs ago. Then stopped not until recently when I started getting stressed. I have done a CT scan already but awaiting result. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Nose bleeding (Epistaxis) can occur because of many reason like trauma, deviated nasal septum, blood disorder, hypertension, liver disease and idiopathic (many times causes are not clear). Sometime Epistaxis can occur during hot summer or in stress or also in cold dry environment. One thin...  Read Full »

How to treat nosebleed that occurred while sleeping?

Query: Nosebleeding. My mother bled her nose while sleeping. As a first aid, we told her to lean forward and press her nose while brrathing through her mouth. Should we worry?  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The most probable cause of this particular bleed is accelerated hypertension. Epistaxis or nasal bleeds are classified into anterior or posterior (front or back part of the nose) based on the region from where they bleed. In your case, I would definitely consider posterior epistaxis as typically...  Read Full »

What is the reason for getting nose bleed?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago I had an excessive nose bleed (from both nostrils) for about 2 hours which that then started coming from my mouth. So I finally decided to go to the ER which the bleeding was not bad at that point and I got my blood platelets checked which came out fine so I was just gi...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most probable cause of this particular bleed is accelerated hypertension. Epistaxis or nasal bleeds are classified into anterior or posterior (front or back part of the nose) based on the region from where they bleed. In your case, I would definitely consider po...  Read Full »

How do I stop frequent nose bleeds?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female. This query is all about my frequent nose bleeding. It started when I was in grade school, I got nose bleed when it is very hot, or when the air is dry and it only happens once a month or once every two months. For the past three months, I got frequent noseb...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahendra Thakre

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing well. I understand your concern. I assure you that you need not be worried. Epistaxis or nasal bleeding is a very common condition and has been reported to occur in up to 60 percent of the general population. Most nosebleeds are not serious and can...  Read Full »

What could be the reson for recurrent epistaxis with no obvious pathology?

Query: Hi doctor, I currently have recurrent epistaxis. This has started since four years on a yearly basis to a daily basis since six months. I have been seeing an ent consultant but due to COVID-19, I am unable to see him until August. I had recent blood tests and MRI which came back all clear. I had an...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have recurrent epistaxis and you have been cauterized also a number of times. There does not seem to be any obvious pathology on examination by endoscopy. I must point out that epistaxis can be idiopathic in more than 50% patients. This is because certain patie...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes nosebleeds?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 68 years old, and two of her recent consecutive blood reports show very high vitamin B12 levels, over 1500. Her nose has bled for 3 to 4 times in the last six months. Last week, the bleeding was not stopping so she had to be admitted. She has undergone a valve replacement ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following can be the reasons for her nosebleed, which is also called as epistaxis. Is she on blood thinners? It can be a likely cause for epistaxis in her case. Hypertension can also be a contributory factor if present. She will need an ENT examination and test ac...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

I have a nose injury and while breathing my left nostril makes a weird nose. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,One week ago and five days, I hit a school clock off the wall and on the left side of my nose. I went to the E.R., and they said it was not broken, and it was only swollen and bruised. The swelling went down, but it is still hurting, and it has been stuff since then. I used a flashlight...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nasal trauma and consequent inflammation can cause symptoms like you are complaining. Epistaxis and stuffiness can be present. Since you have been examined at ER and they did not find any signs of fracture, there is nothing much to worry. The swelling you saw deep in...  Read Full »

What could be the major cause of nose bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 9 years old. She gets nose bleeding once in few months and also gum bleeding. She complains about occasional back pain, stomach burning, and hip pain too. My family physician has written down a series of tests and asked me to get opinions from a hematologist, gastroenterolog...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the medical history of your child, I can understand that she is having bleeding manifestations with normal CBC (complete blood count) and coagulation workup. I would like to know about the below-mentioned questions, Since when does your daughter experience the b...  Read Full »