Epistaxis

What vitamin deficiency causes nosebleeds?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 68 years old, and two of her recent consecutive blood reports show very high vitamin B12 levels, over 1500. Her nose has bled for 3 to 4 times in the last six months. Last week, the bleeding was not stopping so she had to be admitted. She has undergone a valve replacement ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following can be the reasons for her nosebleed, which is also called as epistaxis. Is she on blood thinners? It can be a likely cause for epistaxis in her case. Hypertension can also be a contributory factor if present. She will need an ENT examination and test ac...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

I have a nose injury and while breathing my left nostril makes a weird nose. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,One week ago and five days, I hit a school clock off the wall and on the left side of my nose. I went to the E.R., and they said it was not broken, and it was only swollen and bruised. The swelling went down, but it is still hurting, and it has been stuff since then. I used a flashlight...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nasal trauma and consequent inflammation can cause symptoms like you are complaining. Epistaxis and stuffiness can be present. Since you have been examined at ER and they did not find any signs of fracture, there is nothing much to worry. The swelling you saw deep in...  Read Full »

What could be the major cause of nose bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 9 years old. She gets nose bleeding once in few months and also gum bleeding. She complains about occasional back pain, stomach burning, and hip pain too. My family physician has written down a series of tests and asked me to get opinions from a hematologist, gastroenterolog...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the medical history of your child, I can understand that she is having bleeding manifestations with normal CBC (complete blood count) and coagulation workup. I would like to know about the below-mentioned questions, Since when does your daughter experience the b...  Read Full »

Should I take my son to a doctor immediately for a nosebleed?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old son bumped his nose on his cousin, while in a swimming pool. It bled a lot, but I pinched his nose for a couple of minutes while he was sitting on my lap. The bleeding stopped immediately. Now, he is calm and watching television. Should I take him to a doctor immediately?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mechanical compression is the treatment of epistaxis, most of the bleeding stop by this method. If the bleeding does not stop, then we do a nasal packing. But in this case, as the bleeding stopped, there is no need of further treatment if there is no recurrence of bleedi...  Read Full »