Q. I get little blood from the nose while blowing. Is this a sign of nasal cancer?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2020

I am noticing a small amount of blood (less than a drop) in the tissue when I dap my nose. There is no blood when I sneeze. Occasionally, I have a little bit of blood when I blow my nose (again less than a drop). I have been trying a humidifier at night and saline nasal spray. Is it something serious? Should I concern about nasal cancer?

#

Nasal bleed or epistaxis can occur due to several causes, and of these, idiopathic is the most common. It may be be due to minor unrecognized trauma like forceful blowing, nose picking, rubbing, etc. Epistaxis can also occur in common cold. Certain people have thin mucosa and bleed easily. Hypertension is also an important cause.

Other common causes are bleeding disorders. And malignancy is is the last one. However, there must be other symptoms in malignancy, like nasal obstruction, discharge from nose, and a mass. In more than 50% of cases such episodes are isolated ones with no obvious cause and usually self limiting and benign. There is no need to worry. There might be a small bleeder which can be simply cauterized and bleeding will stop. To be sure you can get a nasal endoscopy done.

I rub the inside of my nose with a Kleenex tissue sometimes. Could it be irritated by that? Also, if it were a nasal tumor, would the bleeding be a lot or a little? And would it be bilateral or unilateral?

#

Yes, that can be a source of potential trauma. Nasal malignancies can have a little or massive epistaxis depends on the tumor's size and nature. And It can be both unilateral or bilateral. However, you should not be unduly concerned about nasal malignancy. Mostly it is likely to be a benign pathology. To prevent trauma, avoid violent nose blowing and use topical ointments like Mupirocin. If it persists or increases in quantity or other symptoms develop, visit a doctor. He will cauterize the bleeder under the vision and also rule out other causes.

|