Q. My son has slightly sedimentation rate and CRP. Is it due to his fever before blood work?

Dr. Kks
Published on Nov 11, 2019

My son is five years old. I recently took him to his pediatrician because he has been sweating at night and running hot during the day. It is hard to tell if this is really a new thing because he has always run hot, but I felt like the sweating might be increasing. Doctor ordered for the bloodwork and everything was normal except a slightly elevated sedimentation rate of 36 and a CRP is 8.5. Doctor asked me whether he was sick when he had the tests done and actually he was sick before four days. He had a fever and sore throat for about a week before and conjunctivitis for about four days before getting his blood work done. The plan is to test him again after a month. I wanted a second opinion as I am worried about the elevated sedimentation rate and CRP. Do you believe it could be easily explained due to being sick a little before the blood work? He also has eczema, could that be the cause for these elevated levels as they are related to inflammation? Are those levels concerning something like cancer? I would love to some reassurance.

Dr. Kks

General Medicine Hematology Internal Medicine
#

Elevated sedimentation rate of 36 and a CRP of 8.5, looks nonconcerning to me. Not sure, what made you think about cancer. Usually, small kids do catch unknown bugs from their peer groups without throwing many symptoms. It seems he had a recent viral infection which can explain these lab reports. Nowadays we even do not check often these numbers. I am sure your doctor would have checked the kid for any lymph nodes in the neck and axilla. A follow-up lab check after month can be done. Meanwhile, if he is eating, playing well, I am not concerned. Cancer will present with more aggressive symptoms of fever, night sweats, lumps in the body. Usually, kids are more sicker than you are saying in your case. But it is always good to keep a watch for these symptoms.

Viral infection, unknown.

None.

Observation and follow up.

I would like to get a proper diagnosis regarding my high hs-CRP.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from iron depletion. My iron is low, but ferritin and hemoglobin are normal. My folic acid was 4 about a year ago. I took Folic acid tablets for two months and it is normal now. My vitamin D has improved after taking tablets. My vitamin B12 is also on lower side. I am mar...  Read Full »

Why is there a rise in my ESR values?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old female with no health problems as such. For the last six months, I am having ESR values of 61 then 82 and then again 61. My ESR was in 60 even two years ago. My physician prescribed me multivitamins. Now I have got my 12-year-old daughter who hit her puberty last ye...  Read Full »

Are we on the right track of treatment for my mother?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She has a history of high blood pressure. For the past two months, she has been having some pain in the stomach, which then shifted to back. During diagnosis, increased pus cells were found. After taking treatment for a month, the pain still continued in the st...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now