Q. There is lymph node enlargement under chin and groin in a child. Is it serious?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee
Published on Oct 16, 2018

My 2-year-old female child has mild lymph node enlargement under the chin and groin. She had a fever. Her weight is 8 kg. Peripheral smear showed mild degree aniso-poikilocytosis. Her hemoglobin is 12. She has a minimal fullness of renal pelvic calyceal system (USG). Is there anything to worry? Rest of all the tests are normal.

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Recurrent fever with lymphadenopathy sometimes indicates chronic infection like tuberculosis. If ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is normal and the fever subsides, this may be a remote possibility. A mild fullness of pelvicalyceal system sometimes indicates mild obstruction lower in the urinary tract or incomplete evacuation of urine. I suggest you do a urine routine and culture test. If the consistency of the lymph node is soft, then it may be reactive due to the past infection. You already told that your child suffered from fever last month. So, these lymph nodes if less than 1 cm in size and soft in consistency and not attached to skin or underlying structure may indicate reactive etiology which is not harmful. But to be sure, you can do a Mantoux test. if that turns out to be positive, then there is a scope to worry.

Reactive lymphadenopathy, UTI.

Urine routine, culture, and sensitivity of urine, Mantoux test.

Tuberculosis.

I have a node on the neck after forced sex. Could this be due to HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a man who forced himself on me. Five days later, a node on the right side of my neck appeared with a sore throat. I went to the doctor, explained everything, took an HIV test and it came back negative. The node is hard and gets soft sometimes but has been there...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lymphadenopathy is not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and probably caused by infected teeth as HIV infection takes approximately six months to one year to get lymphadenopathy. Get HIV test after 45 to 90 days with generation four dual tests or western blo...  Read Full

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, you have an upper respiratory tract infection. You need to do the following investigations. Physical examination. Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Throat swab for culture or ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer. If auscultation is suspicious, ...  Read Full

Can there be high ESR level while having cough and fever?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 48 years old. My recent blood report shows high ESR level. I am having cough and fever in the evening. Doctor told me that I am having bronchitis and has given me antibiotics as well as cough syrup. I am sending you my x-ray and blood test report for verification. Please guide.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Based on your reports, I do not think you have bronchitis or it may be in its initial stage where chest x-ray may be clear. But, I would like to keep it as throat infection in differential diag...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now