Esophagus

The esophagus is a long muscular tube connecting the throat to the stomach. It helps food and liquid pass into the stomach.

I feel like I have something stuck in my chest. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old male, and I feel like something is stuck in my chest for about a week now. And this feeling is not going away. It is very uncomfortable, and I am scared about having cancer. I have been to a doctor, and he says I have an inflamed esophagus, but medicines are not hel...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Greetings of the day. Yes, it could be inflammation of the esophagus because it has an acute onset. Other possibilities are an esophageal stricture, causing narrowing of the lumen and pain while swallowing. There are various causes of inflammation and stricture of the...  Read Full »

What is the reason for nausea and loss of appetite?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has been feeling very unwell. He is having nausea and dry retching in the morning, loss of appetite, weight loss and muscle loss. His blood work shows elevated ferritin of 537 and low sodium of 132. He has had a normal colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound and CT scan....  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Increased serum ferritin (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is usually a sign of chronic inflammation. Here the symptoms of nausea, loss of appetite and morning symptoms indicate possible gastric cause. ...  Read Full »

Manometry shows weakness halfway down the esophagus. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had dysphagia for a few months. My endoscopy and barium swallow had been normal. The manometry showed weakness halfway down the esophagus. The pH test for 24 hours showed GERD. I tried eating a burger, and every bite of it got stuck. After that, I had a hoarse voice for a whi...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The manometry and pH (potential of hydrogen) tests are not normal. The pH shows a gastroesophageal reflux and the manometry shows some weakness in the mid esophagus. You need to ...  Read Full »