Q. I feel like something is stuck in my chest. Is it due to an inflamed esophagus?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

I am a 27 year old male, and I feel like something is stuck in my chest for about a week now. And this feeling is not going away. It is very uncomfortable, and I am scared about having cancer. I have been to a doctor, and he says I have an inflamed esophagus, but medicines are not helping.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Greetings of the day.

Yes, it could be inflammation of the esophagus because it has an acute onset. Other possibilities are an esophageal stricture, causing narrowing of the lumen and pain while swallowing.

There are various causes of inflammation and stricture of the esophagus, for example, reflux of acid from the stomach, ingestion, secondary narrowing due to a growth of some mass causing compression over the esophagus.

One group of motility disorder also causes problems in the esophagus, for that we need barium study and manometry study. In this situation, liquids will cause more problems than solids. So, for that, we need to plan investigations for various etiologies.

I suggest you get the following tests done.

1. Chest x-ray.
  2. Complete blood hemogram, with indices in the form of MCV (mean corpuscular value), MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin), MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  3. Barium study of the esophagus, it will clear any doubts about stricture.
  4. Endoscopy.

An endoscopy will be required for the same, and that will give a more clear picture of the esophagus. A biopsy can be taken by this modality, we will do it after the initial reports.

For treatment, I suggest you try taking tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg, once a day. Take semisolid food rather than solid.

Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Does toxoplasmosis and acid reflux explain all my symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am sorry as this will be a bit long. I will try to explain concisely. I am a 40 year old male, and I weigh 100 kg and 1.85 m tall. I have toxoplasmosis. Last year, I had a weird throat ache, like a persistent itch on the upper side of my left palatine tonsil. It is hard to describe, ...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »