Q. How to reduce excess saliva buildup?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Nov 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been suffering from excess saliva buildup. As a kid, I would wake up with my pillow covered in drool every morning. When I was on a trip before two years where out of nowhere my saliva started building up so much that I needed to swallow it every 30 seconds. The issue would go away when I was distracted, but it has been really bothering my life for the past two years. When I have to swallow the saliva, I do not enjoy it in the slightest. It is very annoying for me. I have visited a psychotherapist for this, but they said they had never seen anyone with my issue before, despite being a cognitive behavior therapy center. I have had anxiety from this, but the anxiety has only been from thinking that this saliva will keep on building up in my mouth. I did a lot of research and saw that one of the salivary glands is capable of producing five times the normal amount of saliva or something like that, which I think is causing this. It is important to note that the excess of saliva buildup is not always there. It usually goes away when I am really distracted. When I am doing nothing I find that it really builds up and I cannot stop the excess saliva build up. Could that have something to do with the parasympathetic nervous system? Because, I have heard that it is responsible for stimulation when the body is at rest. Last week, I visited my physiotherapist for something in my arm and they also told me I was very hyperaware. I was wondering if this had something to do with it. Regardless, I also found something showing that people with excess saliva have one of their glands removed and that can help a lot. Any help you could provide with this would be of great assistance. Thank you.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I have gone through all the details posted. I can understand your problem and I will explain you the possible treatment options.

• Side effects that you can experience are headache, nasal congestion and urinary retention rarely. Depending upon the response, we can increase the dosage little bit.
  • If oral agents did not work, then you can go for Botulinum injections into salivary gland. This can produce improvement and the effect lasts for months and re-injections may be necessary.
  • If this also fails, then you need to go for surgical options.
  • Kindly visit an ENT doctor in person for complete physical examination to rule out the local causes and get the treatment.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What can cause extreme body odor?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy male. My weight is 114 kg and height is 5'7". I am suffering from extreme body odor. Body odor starts few minutes after I take bath, especially from my underarms. Please help.  Read Full »