Q. A 72-year-old has an uncontrollable shaking of his hand. How can it be treated?

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal
Published on Dec 06, 2017

My father who is 72 years old has a problem of uncontrolled shaking of his right hand for the past three years. The problem has increased over the years and now he finds it difficult to hold the toothbrush also. Some works he can do without much difficulty like riding a scooter, sweeping with his right hand etc. But this problem is only increasing. He has consulted a neurologist after my insistence to rule out Parkinson's. The doctor assured that it is not that and gave some medication. This was about eight months back. But, there has been no improvement. My father does not have any other ailments. Of note, he only had a stent operation three years ago. Please let me know what is this problem called, how to treat this and is it curable?

#

Based on the symptoms you have described, your father likely has an "essential tremor." This is a very common neurological condition affecting 4% of the elderly population.

Yes, it is not Parkinson' s disease but it has to be differentiated from Parkinson's disease by a neurologist especially who is trained in movement disorders.

Movement disorder neurologist is additionally trained in conditions like essential tremor and Parkinson's disease.

• There are a few medications which have to be gradually increased slowly to see the best response. Usually, we see about 50% reduction in tremor (shaking).
  • If that is not sufficient we can do botulinum toxin injections in the hand and a workup for brain surgery. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the injections.
  • This condition, like many other neurological diseases, is not curable but it is treatable by proper medications by a neurologist, preferably a movement disorder neurologist.

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Can iron deficiency cause tremors?

Query: Hi doctor, I am just wondering if it is possible to have neurological symptoms with low ferritin levels. My hemoglobin is 13, but the last check on ferritin said it was 5.3. I am suffering severe internal tremors, fatigue, cold hands and feet and weak shaking legs. My symptoms improve while on a s...  Read Full »

Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I was seen in the hospital by a CDC doctor and was told I needed to see him a month after I got out of the hospital. I saw him and asked him what I had, and got no answer what so ev...  Read Full »

I have tremors in left hand. Is it rubral syndrome or muscle weakness?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tremors on my left hand. I am on Amantrel 100 mg tds, Frisium 30 mg and Propranolol 40 mg. I have been through two stents in my heart, but I have no myocardial infarction. I am on beta blockers Valent 40mg od and Retorlix 5 mg od. My neurologist says this as Rubral syndrome and ...  Read Full »