Q. I have thyroiditis and taking Eutirox. Will this cause increased sweating?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am 23 years old, male, I have had thyroid issues since a young child, after a few years they concluded it was thyroiditis. Currently I take Eutirox 75 mg and have for about a year, before that I took 50 mg. Ever since 6-8 months (I am not sure about the timeframe) I have had issues with extreme sweating under armpits, for example I am in a 22ºC room and start sweating insanely, I go outside lay on the hot sun and I stop sweating. 2 minutes after putting on a shirt there are considerable sweat marks on my armpits, 10 minutes after it is a huge sweat mark. It is also irregular, some days it is crazy other days not so much. I have never had issues with sweat, ever.

On the right side of my head I now have ~8 white hair that definitely were not there a year ago, even 6 months ago it was just ~2 hairs. Attached are my lab results, the doctor said it was normal, However, during the conversation I said my breakfast was a couple eggs, sometimes pancakes, and fresh juice, he replied it should be milk and bread, so I have began looking for another doctor for that reason. What can I do to find the best doctor and would it be ok for me to go back to Eutirox 50 mg while I look for a new doctor or can this cause a serious issue?

X-ray resume says the following (translated by me):

Thyroid with normal dimensions, right lobe measuring 14 x 50x13mm, and the left lobe 13 x 53 x 12mm, with lobutlated shape. Its ecostructure is diffusely heterogeneous with multiple areas hipoecogenic poorly defined, aspects to which is associated the increase of vascularisation on the Doppler color study, changes compatible with thyroiditis. Near the inferior pole of the left Lobe some reactive ganglionic can be observed, the biggest measuring about 11 x 5 mm.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

You are sweating due to the increased dose of Eutirox and that is perfectly normal and expected in a person with thyroiditis being treated with medication. This only means that you are being correctly treated with respect to your thyroid function. The few white hair that you noted could be due to stress that you have in your day to day life or simply without any reason they can occur. They have nothing to do with your thyroid function. Your breakfast is good but maybe the doctor meant to decrease the calories. I do not see anything that should make you search another doctor but ofcourse it is your right to do so if you wish. Try to live a stress free life and you will find many of your symptoms resolving.

|