Q. My wife developed high TSH post pregnancy. Is this postpartum thyroiditis?

Dr. Sakthivel Sivasubramanian
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

My wife, who is 29 years old, had symptoms of tiredness and dry skin. So, we tested her thyroid function. I found that her serum TSH level was 150 as well as free T4 below normal. Is this symptom of hypothyroidism? She delivered a baby seven months ago and the test was done recently. She is still breastfeeding. Is it postpartum thyroiditis? I felt she has mildly enlarged thyroid, but I am not sure. I am planning to undergo ultrasonography for thyroid. During pregnancy, her TSH was normal. Do we need to start Thyronorm? Or can I wait for four to six to repeat the test for suspecting postpartum thyroiditis? Is it a must to go for USG? Is there a need to do any other laboratory tests?

#

• It could be postpartum thyroiditis or unmasking of autoimmune hypothyroidism.
  • As it is most likely to be the latter, kindly start her on Thyroxine 75-100 mcg once daily (Levothyroxine) depending upon her weight.
  • Check TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), FT4 (free T4), Anti TPO antibody (thyroid peroxidase) after two months. No need for USG now.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|