Q. My wife developed high TSH post pregnancy. Is this postpartum thyroiditis?

Dr. Sakthivel Sivasubramanian
Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

My wife, who is 29 years old, had symptoms of tiredness and dry skin. So, we tested her thyroid function. I found that her serum TSH level was 150 as well as free T4 below normal. Is this symptom of hypothyroidism? She delivered a baby seven months ago and the test was done recently. She is still breastfeeding. Is it postpartum thyroiditis? I felt she has mildly enlarged thyroid, but I am not sure. I am planning to undergo ultrasonography for thyroid. During pregnancy, her TSH was normal. Do we need to start Thyronorm? Or can I wait for four to six to repeat the test for suspecting postpartum thyroiditis? Is it a must to go for USG? Is there a need to do any other laboratory tests?

#

• It could be postpartum thyroiditis or unmasking of autoimmune hypothyroidism.
  • As it is most likely to be the latter, kindly start her on Thyroxine 75-100 mcg once daily (Levothyroxine) depending upon her weight.
  • Check TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), FT4 (free T4), Anti TPO antibody (thyroid peroxidase) after two months. No need for USG now.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Can a double dose of Levothyroxine help until I get to see a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my lab results recently. I have an appointment with the thyroid doctor in a week. I am afraid of going to the ER plus I have muscle spasms, body jerks, and confusion. Two days ago, I took a double levothyroxine dose of 125 mcg. Yesterday, I added 5 mcg synthetic T3, ma...  Read Full »

Kindly advise on the dose of Levothyroxine as I had a severe reaction for Nature-Thyroid?

Query: Hi doctor, I was switched to Nature-Throid. Within nine days, I had a severe reaction. It caused panic attacks at night, waking up in sweat and insomnia. Then, my naturopath took me off and said to go back to my Levothyroxine. I take 88 mcg daily and 25 mcg once a week. I just realized that I forgo...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now